I had to kill it in order to save it............

SiberianDVM

Dec 31, 2013
Augusta, GA
Well, it's not exactly dead, but it sure looks sick now, after I gutted the interior. Still some more to go. It will be reborn as a race car.
stripped interior Jan 2014.JPG

Cannot anyone identify this small thing that looks like it should have a vacuum hose attached? It's on the passenger side firewall.
what vaccuum unit.JPG

Is this multi-ground panel aftermarket crap and can I get rid of it? Where is the factory engine ground strap located?
ground pad or.JPG

Does anything normally plug into this?
unused connector.JPG

Thanks for any help. I have the factory service manual, but I can't find these things in there and this is my 1st Supra.

SiberianDVM

Dec 31, 2013
Augusta, GA
So the engine only has a ground going to the intake manifold?

I think all of those wires on the round thing were grounds. Several of them go to the drivers side of the block, a couple through the firewall to the passenger compartment, but were not connected, may have gone to some long gone amps.

I want to remove all of the a/c, but wanted to keep the heat and defroster if possible for endurance racing. Can you see where that vacuum line on the heater valve is supposed to run too? The service manuals I have are very poor when it comes to the a/c and heater sections.

Thanks a bunch.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
vac-hose4.gif

Looks like it goes to the VSV that should be below the valve. I can't tell if you still have the VSV in that picture.

SiberianDVM

Dec 31, 2013
Augusta, GA
Thanks a bunch! I'll take a look tonight. Where did you find that schematic?

In other news, I think I may have found out why my speedometer doesn't work:
broken speedo cable.JPG

These are the gauge faces that are currently installed. I'm thinking about removing them and using the stock faces if I can get the backlighting to work. Think some gentle heat from a heat gun will help them peel off?
gauge face.JPG

Also, the shifter has a lot of free play. PO said it was a "short throw". I removed the shifter yesteday and the lower bushing is still OK, most of the free play seems to be in the metal ball area, where a set screw is supposed to push into a groove. The set screw does not appear to be tight enough and cannot be tightened as it is broken. Does anyone make a decent replacement shifter assembly?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
The gauge faces are screwed on. Pull the needles pull the screws and they come off unless they were glued on.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
SiberianDVM;1986383 said:
Thanks a bunch! I'll take a look tonight. Where did you find that schematic?

Just searched Google for something like MK3 Supra vacuum line diagram or something similar to that. Make sure you mark the needles positions before you pull them.

SiberianDVM

Dec 31, 2013
Augusta, GA
I will be careful on the gauge face removal. All gauges were working except the speedometer (broken cable) and oil pressure (PO had replaced with mechanical gauge). New speedometer cable and oil pressure sending unit have been ordered from Rock Auto. Hope the electric oil pressure gauge works; maybe I should try to test it since I have the gauge pod out.

Next question: this car has headers. They look like crap and I think they are leaking as it sounds kind of loud up there in the right hand side of the engine bay. The exhaust system is also very rusty and hangs down way too low. Somebody did not do a very good job on the install.

ChumpCar dings me for penalty laps if I have too much "increased value" and headers is one of those things that makes it go up. Is this the stock exhaust manifold I need?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/120809679106?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

SiberianDVM

Dec 31, 2013
Augusta, GA
The gauge faces came off easily, held on only by the screws. I also found out why the oil pressure gauge wasn't working: the PO had let a little piece fall off the back when removing and inserting the screws, and the bimetal strip was jammed. Once I figured out how to put all the tiny pieces back together properly, the gauge works fine.

Still need some help IDing the above linked exhaust manifold, though.

SiberianDVM

Dec 31, 2013
Augusta, GA
Fixed the electric oil pressure gauge with a new sending unit. Installed new Monroe hood struts (no more Supra stick!!) Fixed the badly adjusted clutch pedal. Removed all the TEMS stuff.

How the heck do you get the front bumper cover and valance off?