I got a new question....Rear main seal!

Newkid

Dec 18, 2007
Aurora Co
ok So I notice oil was leaking down to my transmission and exhaust which caused it to smoke. I thought it was the rear main seal so me and my uncle replaced it. A week later it started to leak again and I just don't know why? my uncle said it was due to a unbalanced crank...what do you guys think?

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
unless your motor was compleatly rebuilt in the past than your uncle is a tard....a crank just doesn't wake up one day and say "don't think I like being balanced anymore"....either y'all installed the seal wrong, the leak isn't from the rear seal, your pcv system isnt working correctly, or the sealing surface on the crank to gasket is fubar.....has nothing to do with balance as the the crank can only wiggle a few thousandths of an inch and if it was bad enough to blow gaskets then it would also blow bearings..don't let your uncle near your car anymore!

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
is there oil in your transmission bell houseing? Do you see streak of oil comeing from the slave cylinder hole in the bell houseing? We need as much detail as possible! What I'm asking is...are you 100% sure it's the rear main? Is oil leaking from the back of the head between head and block?

It's all about the details...you mentioned oil near your manifold so yeah please elaborate.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
Newkid;1182863 said:
Damn sorry bro but ok I see your point

I'm not trying to be mean...I'm trying to save you and your car future issues!! Which means keep your uncle away!

If you want something done right...do it yourself...even if your a noob, if you study and learn you can do better than any mechanic...just ask questions and listen to solid advice.

Newkid

Dec 18, 2007
Aurora Co
gaboonviper85;1182866 said:
is there oil in your transmission bell houseing? Do you see streak of oil comeing from the slave cylinder hole in the bell houseing? We need as much detail as possible! What I'm asking is...are you 100% sure it's the rear main? Is oil leaking from the back of the head between head and block?

It's all about the details...you mentioned oil near your manifold so yeah please elaborate.

well yeah there is oil inside the bell housing and oil drip on the end of the down pipe near the catalytic conv

Newkid

Dec 18, 2007
Aurora Co
gaboonviper85;1182871 said:
I'm not trying to be mean...I'm trying to save you and your car future issues!! Which means keep your uncle away!

If you want something done right...do it yourself...even if your a noob, if you study and learn you can do better than any mechanic...just ask questions and listen to solid advice.

ok thanks man

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
well than I recomend installing a new seal...but this time take some scotchbrite which is a abrasive spongy type pad and clean up the sealing surface of the crank....if the crank has deep scratches than the sealing surface may need to be ground by a machinist...if that's the case than you may as well rebuild the motor as the motor needs to be removed anyway....scotchbrite will remove little scratches and carbon deposits which could be your problem..

If you need scotchbrite pads shoot me a pm and I'll mail you a few...I have like 50 boxes of pads as im a machinist and use the stuff almost everyday..