i give up 1j running like crap need some help

525gte

Sep 19, 2011
hoquiam
ok set the cam gears back to 0.. idles better. i also calibrted the tps. .

it is spitting and popping at low rpm as you open the throttle boby slowly.

if you open it faster and go hard on throttle it is some what clean.

if you stand on the gas . the more boost it builds the better it runs.

right now i can only make 8 psi due to my set up, but it gets to 8 and stays their.

i know that with toyota the ecu it has to be driving to learn, so i am going to put some fresh gas in it and take it on a 50 mile drive tomorrow and just keep my fingures crossed,

oh and the wb is better at idle lik 12 now, and cruisin at 2k rpm its about 13.2 but improving. i may even have dirty injectors. have a set of 660s for it on the shelf but not ready to do that swap yet., anyways thanks for the feed back ill let you know more tomorrow

525gte

Sep 19, 2011
hoquiam
IBoughtASupra;1789322 said:
Pull the plugs and see how they look, maybe they are fouled?

Also, any upgrades to your fuel system?
just a walbro 255 in the tank. still all stock injectors and regulator

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
I've also seen people post that running copper plugs can return a less than ideal idle, but they do run great under boost. Every once in a while mine will stumble a bit or idle a bit odd, but it always runs great when it counts, so I never really looked into it. Also, make sure your gap is the same on your plugs. ~.028 is a good starting point.

525gte

Sep 19, 2011
hoquiam
te72;1789373 said:
I've also seen people post that running copper plugs can return a less than ideal idle, but they do run great under boost. Every once in a while mine will stumble a bit or idle a bit odd, but it always runs great when it counts, so I never really looked into it. Also, make sure your gap is the same on your plugs. ~.028 is a good starting point.

i gapped at .28..

took the car for about a 50 mile drive today,, wow what a difference. runs great.. only a few small problems to fix.

the only problem i have now is the car is going into open loop?? does anyone know what ranges need to be achived to get the car to go to open loop?

525gte

Sep 19, 2011
hoquiam
mecevans;1789457 said:
Think you mean Closed loop = uses feedback from O2 sensor.
whoops yup just notice ,, i ment closed , brain going to fast for fingures thier

so what are the closed loop conditions for o2 switching?

525gte

Sep 19, 2011
hoquiam
T701jz;1788165 said:
Put back the stock cams and you're good to go.
you were right. i swapped the cams out this last week for the stock ones. and now the car idles perfect 14.5 to 15. iac still is not working. but after thinking about it longer, decided that i have the iac possibbly wired wrong. have it turned on via a relay and keyed power. and the relay should be getiting turned on for the iac via the ecu. im thinking that the ecu sends a singnal back to the iac after the car turns off and resets the piston inside as a reference point. . and becuse its going off with keyed power. its not getting that signal. . just a idea i am going to explore

T701jz

3M ENGINEER - R.&.D
Jul 23, 2005
Santa Clarita Ca.
I would double check also the water temp sensor and the air temp sensor are in good working order. I would remove both of them for inspection. My water temp was corroded badly inside. I would make sure also that you set the TPS correct and the throttle valve is completely close when you reset it. Make sure you top your water level to the max for consistent reading to the water temp sensor.

525gte

Sep 19, 2011
hoquiam
T701jz;1796144 said:
I would double check also the water temp sensor and the air temp sensor are in good working order. I would remove both of them for inspection. My water temp was corroded badly inside. I would make sure also that you set the TPS correct and the throttle valve is completely close when you reset it. Make sure you top your water level to the max for consistent reading to the water temp sensor.
water temp is new,, that was the 1st thing i replaced. have not cked air temp i will just replace it i think their cheap. and the tps is adjusted. i have gotten pretty good at justing it with a volt meterbut i will take a look at the butterfly. thanks