I feel violated (by my toyota parts dealer)

drostar

Apr 24, 2005
SK
I just spent $60 on insulators and grommets for 6 injectors. $4.80 a piece for each. Is that normal? Why can't there be a Champion Toyota where I live.

KeithH

Mar 31, 2005
Portland, OR
And 99 times out of 100 the shipping cost will still not cost more than buying locally.

Example: I needed a new accordian hose. This was on a Friday morning. I went to my local parts counter and placed an order (at least I didn't have to prepay). I then called Jeff Watson and not only did his price beat the local price but even including next day air + Saturday delivery the price beat the local price. On top of that I wouldn't have been able to pick up the piece locally until the following Monday.

Ckanderson

Supramania Contributor
Apr 1, 1983
The beach
KeithH said:
And 99 times out of 100 the shipping cost will still not cost more than buying locally.

Example: I needed a new accordian hose. This was on a Friday morning. I went to my local parts counter and placed an order (at least I didn't have to prepay). I then called Jeff Watson and not only did his price beat the local price but even including next day air + Saturday delivery the price beat the local price. On top of that I wouldn't have been able to pick up the piece locally until the following Monday.
yes even on small 30 dollar orders its cheaper to go champion. Plus Jeff is a cool guy and I like to suport people who spend their time with supra owners trying to help them out

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
^ i get a wicked discount through my local dealership because i buy there so often. i should figure out who gives me a better discount, as i've been curious for a while, but lazy. haha

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
O'rielly's carries(or can order) a complete injector seal kit. $3 each injector, iirc

I've had them in my car for over 2 years now, with no signs of cracking or failing.

trydrew

Suprafied
Nov 4, 2005
Earth
shaeff said:
^ i get a wicked discount through my local dealership because i buy there so often. i should figure out who gives me a better discount, as i've been curious for a while, but lazy. haha
Same here, I know the chick at the counter. :naughty: Makes for insane discounts and takes all the pain away from buying there. When I place an order it's shelved as just "Andrew".
I shop at Toyota more often then anywhere else. :sarcasm:

...but I really get the discounts because I work at a dealership next door. Oh, the benefits...

drostar

Apr 24, 2005
SK
Any big or planned purchases are from Champion, for sure. But I'm trying to get my engine back together here and I didn't want to wait 2 weeks for these bits. I thought they would be included in the gasket set I bought but there were no grommets and the insulators were dirty and looked used?? Anyway, I thought I'd play it safe and get new ones. Just got it up the bum by surprise when I stopped in to pick these up on my way home from work.

p5150

ASE and FAA A&P Certified
Mar 31, 2005
Central Idaho
I told my local dealer that I would not purchase anything from them unless they came down in price. I explained the cost difference - its not just Champion, there are also other vendors like Mossy Toyota www.toyotapartscheap.com that have an online part number search that you can just type in.

I thought that they would be more willing to sell me stuff at a discount but they are still REDICULOUS. My personal rule is anything less than 20 bucks will come from a local dealer, and I will NOT have them order stuff in. Purchasing from them is just a convienience. If I have to wait for an order I will just call Champion or Mossy.