I feel stupid aski this...?

Nippon-teku

Aug 9, 2009
Hollywood, FL
I have a 88 MKiii and i wanted to upgrade the heated mirror to the JDM. My question is, can i use the exsisting wire harness and add a few wires minus the connectors to the JDM switch? Will this work, or it there a kit i have to buy?

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
you can, but you still need the control box and the actual mirror switch, as it's different from USDM mirror switches...

you can use euro glass, which has the exact same plugs as USDM glass, and you can keep your heat function, however you have to bake the glass in the oven to soften up the rubber, pop out the JDM glass and install the euro glass..

then you gotta wire it all up..

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
the JDM mirror and Euro mirror housings look identical and work in pretty much the same way..

what's different, is the fact that JDM mirrors have motors to fold, while euro mirrors fold with your hand. Also the internal structures and wiring are completely different.

the wiring for a US and Euro mirror are the same and plug and play, infact I have euro mirrors on my 92 and my 89...

the plus side is euro mirrors CAN be LHD, so it's all the same. I have RHD mirrors (pretty much the same optics) on my 92 and it's a bit hard to see, too hard for some. I bought a blind spot mirror, lean forward and turn my head when I change lanes..

seems like a lot but I got used to it..

oh, by the way you only bake the glass itself, not the entire mirror housing..

steve1479

Oct 9, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
RazoE;1485880 said:
the JDM mirror and Euro mirror housings look identical and work in pretty much the same way..

what's different, is the fact that JDM mirrors have motors to fold, while euro mirrors fold with your hand. Also the internal structures and wiring are completely different.

the wiring for a US and Euro mirror are the same and plug and play, infact I have euro mirrors on my 92 and my 89...

the plus side is euro mirrors CAN be LHD, so it's all the same. I have RHD mirrors (pretty much the same optics) on my 92 and it's a bit hard to see, too hard for some. I bought a blind spot mirror, lean forward and turn my head when I change lanes..

seems like a lot but I got used to it...

oh, by the way you only bake the glass itself, not the entire mirror housing..

This is true, RHD mirrors are convexed on the left (drivers side in north america) as opposed to the passenger side. Other than that, the lenses are no different. I don't believe my JZA70 has heated mirrors. I don't winter drive it so I've never used the defrost to try it out