I changed my oil and filter today!

Stretch

Tallest MK3 driver ever!!
Mar 30, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
I changed the oil and filter in my stock 7m turbo and MY GOD! I have heard it can be difficult, but wow! I wrestled with the filter for many hours, but eventually won. Terrible design, it seemed as though the filter location was an afterthought hahaa.I just wanted to share my difficulties with you all :)
eric

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Meh, I never found it difficult. When the filter on my motor was in the stock location, I'd pull the accordian hose, and just reach down to grab it. Never had any problems with it.

Relocation FTW. Now it's super easy to get. :)

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Ummm.. it comes out through the bottom really easily.

YoureDoingItWrong.png

shenronzero

spitfire
Oct 19, 2007
orlando/ New Smyrna Beach FL
Dunckel;1188655 said:
You must be a rich, and brave man.

true story there... i dont like it at all when other ppl work on my car, me and my father who is a mechanic but even then he doesnt even do anything to it unless he needs to. If something needs to be done that i cant do IE: alignment, stuff of that nature, i sit there and watch while the mechanic does it.

Stretch

Tallest MK3 driver ever!!
Mar 30, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
Wierd, when i tied pulling it straight down it would not fit throgu the small opening. I had to push it over the motor mount and let it fall through the bigger hole behind it. I also took off the accordian hose and intercooler pipes to better access the filter to get it off of the mount, but my hands are really big and that made it difficult heh.
eric

Who

Supramania Contributor
My filter won't come straight out the bottom. You have to lift it over the cross member and that's when it gets messy. It almost fits but there are two hard lines that won't let it pass through. I take the filter off and let it sit upright on those lines. I then put my hand with a rag over the cross member, cover the filter with a rag and pull it out. No mess. Rubber gloves help too.
While your getting dirty don't forget to drain the tranny fluid if you have a automatic. Drain it and replace it with about 2 quarts of tranny fluid. Its part of the regular maintenance schedule.

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
gtsfirefighter;1188934 said:
A whoppin $25 bucks. I'm rolling in the dough! If it means I don't have to get under the car then it's worth it. Besides, I like all the attention my car gets when I go up there.

^ You spend an extra $6 every 3k miles! omfg!

I don't think it's worth getting dirty for, I just can't make it to teh stealership before parts/service closes so I end up doing it myself. The STI is super easy, right up front, points stright down w/ nothing in the way, at all... about 4" clearance around it too.

mkIII's are a PITA, no doubt. I would consider an iffy lube doing it if I could watch them.

GuNDeZZZ

Was dgilman360
Sep 28, 2006
Lakeland Florida
gtsfirefighter;1188640 said:
I just take mine to Toyota and leave it for a few hours.

I hope you know they don't replace the filter 95% of the time...

I know this because I have a couple friends who worked at the local yota for a while and management told them its alright not to replace... lol

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Weatherford, Texas, United States
mkiiSupraMan18;1188951 said:
^ You spend an extra $6 every 3k miles! omfg!

Oh the humanity of it all. I know it's terrible. Actually about every 5k miles.

dgilman360;1188964 said:
I hope you know they don't replace the filter 95% of the time...

I know this because I have a couple friends who worked at the local yota for a while and management told them its alright not to replace... lol

So every Toyota dealership is like that I suppose. FWIW I do check.