i cant indentify these noises.. maybe you can?

88YotaTurbo

Feb 26, 2006
Wolcott, Ct.
I would say it's from some pulley. Try taking off the accessory belts and checking each pulley for wiggle/play. Don't just buy a new pump without making sure that is the problem.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
sounds like a rack going out or not enough fluid
also the screens in the reservoir get clogged take a screwdriver and cut a hole
but the pump pulley also could be the problem

kaz87supra

Supra Owner
Mar 31, 2005
Owasso OK
have you checked your power steering fluid level? really sounds like it is just low. probably caused by a leaking pressure hose or worn rack.
mine runs out almost daily and i will get lazy so it might be a week before I refill it, and I am just waiting for the pump to die from no fluid, but it still keeps on ticking and sounds new when I fill er up. basically, im saying you probably havnt damaged the pump if all that has happened was you ran it low on fluid.

Adam

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Checking the suction screen is a good idea. Punching holes in it, thereby sending all that crap into your hydraulic system and defeating the screen for future use, is not. Makes me wonder what the poster who suggested it does when he gets something in his eye...

Start by checking the fluid level. If low and adding doesn't help remove the reservoir and flush it with solvent until the screen is clean. Might as well replace the fluid in the entire system while you're at it. Fill it all back up and turn the wheel lock to lock until there's no more air in the fluid. Ignore any noises while doing it. If you're smart you'll add a filter in the return line. Google "magnefine". You want the inline gadget.

If needed the pump can be replaced or rebuilt with a kit from the dealer. Not hard to do. If the rack is shot you'll need to replace it. Also replace the high pressure line if it's old. Try the screen clean and maybe a fluid flush first though. Course, all this assumes the PS is indeed your problem.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
it's the PS system, wouldn't make more noise when turning the wheel...

It uses ATF, not PS fluid as well, can't count how many times I've seen someone destroy their pump using PS fluid...

johnathan1

Supra =
Aug 19, 2005
Downey, California, United States
jetjock;915329 said:
Makes me wonder what the poster who suggested it does when he gets something in his eye...

He punches a hole in it of course! LMAO

Poodles;915444 said:
It uses ATF, not PS fluid as well, can't count how many times I've seen someone destroy their pump using PS fluid...

I did that to my NA Supra back when I was still a fresh n00b...:cry:

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
well thats what one of the older techs in my shop told they used to do for that
and if the fluid was never changed and theres that much dirt in the system already how would it hurt?

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Ummm....how about just taking the Resv off and cleaning the screen?
Dirt kills hydraulic pumps ;)

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
ya i under stand what your saying about the proper way.
but if the entire system is dirty from never changing the oil the screen is just going to get clogged up right away again.
the power steering fluid is usually neglected to be changed by most vehicle owners and a lot of the supra owners on here are not the first owners and who noes if the fluid has ever been changed.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
no, cause the dirt was stopped by the screen, so it's NOT in the entire system, or it would already be on the screen...

It's not like it's hard to clean either, syphon the fluid out, unbolt the res. and undo the two hoses. Flush it with degreaser in the reverse of the flow (in through the lower bung).

Then, do a flush of the system (not hard, the TSRM shows EXACTLY how to do it)