I beg your wisdom of coolanty goodness.

Aug 12, 2010
P.G. County, Maryland
I found out FORSUREFORSURE where my leak was coming from. If you want to just get to the point, you can skip to the bottom, or if you fancy a monolouge read on. So i was tinkering about with no apparent intention when i thought to myself: Hey! I should fix that leak that is currently rendering my car undriveable! So i opened my rad cap, and it was empty to the bottom of the upper radiator hose. I topped it off, capped it up, and gave it a few squeezes. No leaks, still full. Great! Then... I open the cap located in the middle of my upper heater core coolant hose, and its bone dry. I go "Huh, thats weird..." so i fill her up, and cap it back up, give it a few squeezes... empty. :/ Alright, i wedge a funnel into the hole to form a seal, and fill it up halfway. slowwwwly but surely, it bubbles and drains allllll the way back down to bone dry. I notice a puddle forming under my car and think "HOME MADE COOLANT PRESSURE TESTER!". I filled it up one more time, capped it real fast, and squeezed the living shit out of my upper rad hose. A steady DRIP..1..2..3..DRIP..1..2..DRIP... greets me, and i can tell exactly where it's coming from. The uppermost connection of the 90* elbow behind my head. Otherwise known as the "Elbow of death", or the "Why haven't i swapped this thing yet?" elbow. I also noticed that the oil return from the front of my valve cover has a nasty crack in it, and there is oil EVERYWHERE! So without further bantering, i ask you this:

I know the part number for the 90* elbow behind my head, but i can't find the number for the oil line that goes to my valve cover behind the oil cap. I would like to humbly request the part number for that oil hose, and any tips you may have for replacing the coolant elbow. I can tell just by looking at it that i'm not using C clamps to put it back in, that would be impossible. Worm drives seem to be my best option here, right? It also seems that by removing the left valve cover and pulling my loom back from the firewall some i may be granted enough knuckle space to tackle the hose. Are there any other suggestions to help me remove this monstrosity other than jacking the motor up or pulling it?

Thanks for the time, and sorry for the drawn-out post. :icon_bigg

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
You are correct about replacing that 90 degree hose - it's a bitch, but it can be done.

Two possibilities.

1. Get some new clamps from Toyota. They come held open, so you install everything, position the clamp, then pull off the tab, and it snaps shut.
2. Find yourself some of the worm clamps that wrap around like t-bolt clamps, so the worm portion doesn't destroy the hose.

Devin LeBlanc

Banned
Apr 7, 2010
Las Vegas NV.
That was the first hose I blew when I got my car running, it was weak due to the previous BHG.. I ended up getting a 90 degree piece of molded hose from autozone and cut it to fit.. Took about 30 min to change

Skeezix

Supradope
Dec 30, 2009
Regina, SK
Yeah for that front one my parts guy didnt have the exact one so i found the closest and only had to cut half inch off one end. The one at the back was a real bitch too, a lot of fangdangling and a flexible screwdriver with an 8mm worked perfect for the new clamps. Getting the old ones off was tricky though, didn't take anything off I don't think though besides the big hose that goes between the valve covers at the back cuz it was pooched too, my 90 though literally ripped off the one end cuz it was so old and weak

Dachande

Arrrrrr Matey
Apr 3, 2005
South Carolina
Then it's definitely not going to be fun for you. I have smaller hands and I can't even fit my hand back there to really install it easily. I think Grimjack's idea is the best option for you here.

Skeezix

Supradope
Dec 30, 2009
Regina, SK
Dachande;1673074 said:
Then it's definitely not going to be fun for you. I have smaller hands and I can't even fit my hand back there to really install it easily. I think Grimjack's idea is the best option for you here.

I agree I totally wish I knew the clamps game like that I would've done it like that. And I changed it with my father and we both have decent size hands but my arms are nice and skinny

Skeezix

Supradope
Dec 30, 2009
Regina, SK
spikesnstuff0905;1673304 said:
Lol'd at "Decent sized hands"

lol yeah fairly general description. I always thought I had small hands cuz I'm tiny (5'6" 130lbs lol) but they're kinda long and just have skinny fingers, but my dad kinda has sausage fingers and he did most of the work on that hose.