I am a little confused on distributor install.

AW11inVa

Nov 15, 2007
Broadway Va
Reassembling my JDM 7M I have got #1 at TDC and I assume I have my cam pulley marks lined up with the notches as per the factory manual. Now maybe since my Distributor was already out this section may not apply. Page IG-17 describes how to remove the distributor. Why would you set at TDC then look through the oil fill hole and turn the crank until you see the cam nose and then turn it back to TDC and then remove the distributor?

Since I am sure I have the cam notches lined up with the cover notches and the crank pulley is at ZERO cant I just align the two grooves on the distributor and insert it into the head since everything is at TDC.

I just dont understand why they have you rotate and watch for the cam nose then rotate it back again.

amichie

Apr 13, 2006
sYDNEy
It tells you that you are at TDC no 1 and not TDC no 6.

Since you have your cam notches lined up then this tells you the same thing.

AW11inVa

Nov 15, 2007
Broadway Va
ahhhh so as long a you know your TDC #1 with all the markers lined up you can insert the distributor then? I guess they have that procedure in there in case you can not read the marks anymore due to dirt or whatever reason.

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
AW11inVa;976760 said:
ahhhh so as long a you know your TDC #1 with all the markers lined up you can insert the distributor then? I guess they have that procedure in there in case you can not read the marks anymore due to dirt or whatever reason.
When you put the distributor in just make sure the rotor is pointing at the #1 wire on the cap, as long as you have everything else lined up it will start. Then you have to time it with a light and the jumper wire per TSRM.