HyperTune 1JZ 92 MKiii

rokit1man

Jan 27, 2011
Kansas
Hi to everyone in the Supra family,

Not for sure when the best time is to start a build thread not knowing how long its going to take. :icon_bigg
But why not start now! Heres my story...

I found this 1992 black MKiii targa 5 speed turbo for sale with dark shadow gray leather interior. I was wanting a project car to start on but wasn't for sure what to go with. In the past I had drove Mustangs, Camaros, TransAm's and one 87 Turbo Supra. All I could think about was how that old Supra put a big smile on my face the first time I took it out for a test drive. All I remember was how it pulled really hard when the boost gauge started to climb and I was so amazed! I had never rode in a turbo car before and it just made me laugh because it was so fun! So I made up my mind to buy this 92 Supra but it wasn't easy. This Supra was for sale on e-bay in Baltimore Maryland and I lived in Kansas. I had to bid on this car to the very end and won! Then I told the wife I needed a one way ticket to Baltimore Maryland. She said "your crazy if your going to buy a one way ticket and take 2 planes all the way to Baltimore Maryland and drive back home!!!" I said yea... maybe.

GOALS: Daily driver 600hp at the wheels with E-85. You guys can be the judge of that after reading the parts list and hopefully guide me in the right direction. I could use any good advice you all are willing to share to help me reach that goal. Thx.

I have plenty of pics to show but will take a bit to find and organize them. Ill put down a list of parts that I have and if I missed some then I'll go back and edit/add the parts to the list. I already have pics in my profile if you need to see them right away but Ill get started.

I pulled out the 7MGTE and bought the 1JZGTE with 5 speed trans from Nagano Japanese delivered to my front door.
Parts list no specific order:

HyperTune Billet Intake Manifold kit with 90mm throttle body & fuel rail. (Suprastore)
Dynamics ID 1000's injectors (Suprastore)
CP piston set .20 over (Driftmotion)
ACL rod bearings (Titan Motorsports)
Clevite main bearings (Driftmotion)
Stock metal head gasket (Driftmotion)
ARP bolts for the 1J and ARP wheel studs front/back (Driftmotion)
Precision Turbo 6262 .84 A/R T4 divided 6262 CEA Polished Billet waterless DBB SP cover with QSV (Sound Performance)
QSV Super HD design (Sound Performance)
1JZ head hot tanked, decked, port/polish lash setting, shimless buckets, 3 angle valve job & polished cam covers (Suprastore)
BC valve springs (BC)
Modified oil pump
Titan cams 264's with Titan cam gears (Titan)
Exhaust Quick Silver Manifold Black Techline Ceramic coating T4 (Suprastore)
Pro-Efi 128 with E-85 kit and color can display (Sound Performance)
Engine rebuild kit (Driftmotion)
Titan Billet Timing Belt Tensioner (Suprastore)
ATI Super Damper (Summit Racing)
R154 5 Speed by Marlin Crawler full HD package including HD thrust washer, bearing retainer plate & billet 1-2 shift fork
Short throw shifter V2 group buy (Nashman) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_frLIPhk6k
1JZ/2JZ Engine brackets 89-92 (Driftmotion)
Poly Subframe Bushings group buy (Ronniek)
Poly Trans Mount R154 (Driftmotion)
Energy Suspension Bushings black lower control arms
Beech upper control arms and all adjustable suspension front and back
Whiteline adjustable sway bars front/rear
BC Coilovers BR type front/rear
Arizona Performance BBK front/rear
Tweak'd Performance harness
NGK BKR8EIX plugs
Fuel Labs 6 micron filter, Beech Fuel Hanger, 2 AEM 320 lph pumps (Driftmotion)
For fun... devil horns Toyota badge (Tekdeus)
Clear corners front blinkers with LEDs (THMotorsports)
OS Giken rear differential TY021
OS Giken gear oil 80W-250

Last edited:

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
There's no need to tear your 1jz apart for six hundred horsepower, unless you're just anal that way.............lol

Looking forward to the pictures.

rokit1man

Jan 27, 2011
Kansas
DSCN0752.JPGDSCN0751.JPGDSCN1471.JPGDSCN1478.JPGDSCN1022.JPGIMG_1125.JPG

I thought it would be good to add fun stuff now to add more power later. LOL. I can be a little anal with parts list sometimes.

Attachments

• DSCN1403.JPG
    DSCN1403.JPG
    154.9 KB · Views: 171
  • DSCN1375.JPG
    DSCN1375.JPG
    146.3 KB · Views: 220
  • DSCN1401.JPG
    DSCN1401.JPG
    144.6 KB · Views: 165
  • DSCN1167.JPG
    DSCN1167.JPG
    111.4 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:

rokit1man

Jan 27, 2011
Kansas
DSCN0780.JPGDSCN1393.JPG
I have this one pic of the interior but will get more pics soon. After the engine and suspension is done then the interior will be started on.

Attachments

• DSCN1396.JPG
    DSCN1396.JPG
    112.5 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
That intake manifold looks sexy as hell. Any dyno sheets proving how much of an upgrade it is?

DOUBL3 D

Banned
Aug 22, 2010
Chesterfield,MO
www.facebook.com
IndigoMKII;1895938 said:
Forgive me but won't you need a big ass fuel pump, big -an fittings for fuel lines and bigger injectors like 1600cc for 600 rwhp on e85?

Standalone, cams, and a 76mm turbo would do, with supportting mods of course. Could do headstuds too, stock hg is metal. Nothing wrong with overbuilding if you have the cash tho

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

rokit1man

Jan 27, 2011
Kansas
Hey Indigo,
Yes you would need plenty of fuel, turbo and injectors to support good hp numbers. I'm currently working on the block and transmission right now but fuel will be coming soon. As far as the turbo I attached a link below for the turbos claimed ratings. Injectors I've seen good numbers on previous dyno videos but everyone always seems to have a different set up. lol. But like Double D said you would need the supporting mods to get 600 hp. My goal is 600 but if I end up in the high 5xx's then I will upgrade turbo and injectors. Heres the link below for turbo:

http://www.spracingforum.com/forums...Divided-Housings-for-6262-and-5862-CEA-Billet!!!

rokit1man

Jan 27, 2011
Kansas
Whats up suprahero,

No dyno sheets for the intake manifold.. not yet anyway ha ha. The HyperTune manifold is intended to be used where maximum horsepower is the requirement. There most common for drag racing. Yea I know its a bit overkill to say the least but theres always room to grow. Little bling never hurt either. LOL. One day soon I can share dyno results for this intake on the 1J with E-85 so it will be a good starting point for me.

rokit1man

Jan 27, 2011
Kansas
DSCN1169.JPGDSCN1240.JPGDSCN1262.JPGDSCN1265.JPGDSCN1386.JPGDSCN1404.JPG

Adding a few random pics of parts in the garage.
I'm installing the ARP Head Studs to the block in a day or two. It recommends using the fastener assembly lube but also states that Loctite can be used while torquing to 80 ft lbs. Has anyone used Loctite for the head studs? thx.

gonzy tunning

Dec 6, 2006
new jersey

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
gonzy tunning;1896156 said:
is that a build r154

From his first post: R154 5 Speed by Marlin Crawler full HD package including HD thrust washer, bearing retainer plate & billet 1-2 shift fork

rokit1man

Jan 27, 2011
Kansas
Finally was able to torque the head to the block and install the cams. Also installed couple old sensors that came with the block today but may end up getting new ones later due for reliability. I did test fit the header, intake, turbo and QSV and it fit well. Next I need to figure out what clutch to go with. Looking for street friendly and street/track set up. I've seen Clutch Masters FX850 clutch kit but still undecided. Keep in mind I need room to grow in hp but street friendly for a daily driver.

DSCN1429.JPGDSCN1428.JPGDSCN1430.JPGDSCN1427.JPG

Incase no one hasn't noticed yet the tensioner for the timing belt is upside down... Haha. Geez too funny! :aigo:
I changed it just incase someone ask about it.

Last edited:

AbsoluteSpeed

Aug 8, 2007
Edmonton AB
That is beautiful, I like the second pic with the supra in the background.
Be careful moving that engine stand, it looks like it could tip over if you so much as look at it funny.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Seems like that intake sticks out way further than stock. I'll have to go look at mine, but it looks like it's going to be a tight squeeze.

I think it's absolutely gorgeous though.

Trust_GTE

BOOST NOW...CRY LATER...
Apr 4, 2005
FL
Nice build, i think any trip for a SUPRA is worth the wild. I drove from easthampton, ny to LA, California for my 1jz...and then drove it back......lol. one trip i will never forget. Good times. Good luck with the build!