Hydrofan vs electric question

2jza70

Apr 21, 2010
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I am swapping a aristo 2jzgte into my ma70 and I had one question on it that I cannot seem to find the answer to. I am going to be using electric fans and I need to know if I can still use the water pump that it came with because the water pump is not going to be running a fan at all, they will be ran with switches. Seeing as how all that I've found says nothing about the differences in water pumps just in the hydro vs clutch FAN setup I don't see it being an issue but I just wanted to be sure.

Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE

SF what a waste of supras
Jun 22, 2006
SoCal
www.myspace.com
Hydro fan/water pump is completely different from the mechanical fan/water pump You cant even leave the housings un-touched the whole thing haves to be changed out.
The pullys the mechanical fan nothing interchanges.

Your best bet is to get the beefier 100% waterpump housing with turbo pump. Now wether you go E or Mechanical fan is up to you just if you go E-fan pick the same CFM or higher then OEM mechanical or hydro which ever one.
pick the one with the lowest AMP draw on your alternator because if you use under drive pullys stop at a light after a hard pull the Efan comes on and you dont want it to kill your car electrical.

Freshmaker

Feb 3, 2007
Oconomowoc, Wi
I don't know what your financial situation is, but taking out the entire (front and back) water pump housing and swapping it for a 2JZ is the right way to do things.

Having said that... I built my 1JZ swap on a low budget(no choice at the time) and kept the 1JZ water pump. I ran the Hydro fan in a loop to a power steering reservoir. 40k miles and still running strong. So when I pull the motor its getting a 2jz pump for sure!

Bottom line, If you can do it get a 2JZ pump in there for sure.