hydro clutch fan

suprastanger507mgte

2x88+2x89+1x91+2x92=ME
Apr 5, 2005
Hayward , Ca
The p[oint is, we were discussing automotive electric fans vs Hydro fan.
Why in the world would you start bringing Locomotive Engines in this discussion? This is not a Locomotive forums.......its a Supra forum = cars.
No sense discussing Locomotive engines in a 1jz / SUpra thread dude.

Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE

SF what a waste of supras
Jun 22, 2006
SoCal
www.myspace.com
no but understanding that your not wasting as much engine power to keep your car cool by going one methode vs another and illustrating an example of how electrical loads apply to charging systems and giving back ground and logical supporting information is important for a thesis

esc

WUM WUM!
Mar 30, 2005
Winston, NC
well since we're on the subject of hydro fan setup...that little electric plug on the bottom of my radiator...i already assume that it's a temperature sensor. but here's my question...does that go for the hydro system to tell it when to speed up or slow down? or is it for something else? because the sensor is there but there's no wires and i can't find them under the car anywhere. so kinda need to know where it runs to and how important it is to have hooked up.

suprastanger507mgte

2x88+2x89+1x91+2x92=ME
Apr 5, 2005
Hayward , Ca
esc said:
well since we're on the subject of hydro fan setup...that little electric plug on the bottom of my radiator...i already assume that it's a temperature sensor. but here's my question...does that go for the hydro system to tell it when to speed up or slow down? or is it for something else? because the sensor is there but there's no wires and i can't find them under the car anywhere. so kinda need to know where it runs to and how important it is to have hooked up.

Yes, it tells the hydro fan when to increase/decrease pressure/speed via the solenoid.
if the hydrofan setuo is in use, then it must be plugged in or else your car will heat up on long drives and uphill situations.

esc

WUM WUM!
Mar 30, 2005
Winston, NC
ok well i guess i need to find out where the wires are or if they even exist. where does the sensor plug into? it's cold as hell out now anyways and the car isn't a daily driver so i'm not too concerned about it at the moment but would like to get that taken care of

Ken

Apr 6, 2005
Houston, TX
you're talking about the temp sensor? it goes on the bottom of radiator. the 2 wires, Light green/Red and Black/Red go from the sensor to the hydrofan ECU eventually.

esc

WUM WUM!
Mar 30, 2005
Winston, NC
problem is there's no wires at all, just the sensor. where exactly is the hydrofan ecu located at? i may be forced to manually wire it up unless someone has a spare sensor with wires and connectors laying around they want to give me, lol

suprastanger507mgte

2x88+2x89+1x91+2x92=ME
Apr 5, 2005
Hayward , Ca
itr.00-1282 said:
stupid question, but is the fan supposed to spin all the time??

Yes it is. It will spin all the time at a constant speed, but as soon as the temp sensor is hooked up and the wiring is all correct with the fan ECU, that fan speed will increase and you will definitely feel a very strong amount of air in the engine bay. Its a ig difference after the ecu is hooked up.

suprastanger507mgte

2x88+2x89+1x91+2x92=ME
Apr 5, 2005
Hayward , Ca
esc said:
problem is there's no wires at all, just the sensor. where exactly is the hydrofan ecu located at? i may be forced to manually wire it up unless someone has a spare sensor with wires and connectors laying around they want to give me, lol

You should locate the wires mentioned near lower radiator or a plug hanging from there. ( kind of roundish)
Hydrofan ecu is located near your ECU under the glove box.

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE said:
Diesel locomotive haves variable excitation control computers while govenor valves control the engine rpm notch 1-8 8 speed govenor valve control. I was saying they are completly diffrent because unlike a locomotive it verrys the load on the generator a car alternator produces the same amount of power dont mater what the load is it produces verrying voltage based on the engine rpms the load on an alternator is fixed at the same rate because a regulator filters the a/c voltage and excese voltage to the ground of your car. If you put a huge load on your alternator it doesnt freeze your engine it just dims all the other electrical on your car because the alternator will still produce its same fixed power based on the engine rpms and it will start to drain your battery thats all. there is no excitation computer inside of a convention car alternator but there is one inside of hybred cars because it uses the power to move the whole car so it needs to control the excitation to make them so efficient because if you dont have a computer and just a plain voltage regulater with the hybred car electric generator/motor on 100% of the time your wasting all the extra voltage to ground and no getting optimum performance out of it when you need it to drive or move the car.

A e-fan uses less then 9% of what the alternator makes to run it and i pulls nearly the same amount of air as max speed on the hydrofan the e-fan uses less power of your car then the headlights or the rear window defroster or a hooked up 1000 wat stereo system

if you dont believe me dyno a car with headlights on then do the same with them off the alternotor will not drop your car hp when your headlights are on because it uses the same amount of mechanical force to make the same amount of electrical force because a car uses DC and the alternator produces AC with varying frequency and voltage based on rpms the regulator is always running and putting the same load on the alternator.

The electric fan almost haves no load on the car it does not run unless stopped at a light racing up hill extreme death valley temps or after the engine is shut down for 2-3 min to prevent heat soak

people dont realize you do not need a fan running 100% of the time lol you only need it after you park your car to run to prevent heat soak it cools your cooling system and your engine after you turn your car off extending the life of your engine.

when you are driving down the road 20+ mph at low engine rpms you need no fan at all! so why have 2 power steering systems running off of your engine all the time also the hydro fan takes away from the cooling system compaired to the 2JZ water pump.

If anything just use a clutch fan the pully already turns so if the fan runs all the time have it varry on engine rpms directly not have 2 speed control ecu an extra resivior all the pluming extra moving parts added steering lines added fluid cooler so on relays wires it get stupid to take more power from an engine the just having a simple soarer clutch fan as the main cooling system thats all.

Infact thers is so much more response less estra weight i wish someone would post dyno results but with the electric fan off because when your cruising your supra at higher speeds you get so much cool air in through the front the e-fan wouldnt be on so subtract the weight of nearly all the hydro fan crap and put no load on your alternator when your going down the road and add it up.

A few key things you are wrong about:

The regulator in the alternator is regulating the output voltage, not amperage. Without a regulator the output voltage would vary greatly depending on engine rpm, but a constant voltage is obviously required.

The amperage rating of an alternator is the max output under load. A 100 amp alternator is NOT putting out 100 amps all the time. If you put a 50 amp load on a 100 amp alternator, it is not sinking another 50 amps to ground. It is only taking half the horsepower to drive the alternator with a 50 amp load as it is with a 100 amp load. If you were to put more then a 100 amp load on a 100 amp alternator it would not be able to sustain enough output voltage.

Why do you think the ecu has inputs from the headlights and defogger? Because the ecu increases the idle speed! If it did not the extra load on the alternator would make the engine idle rpm drop, because there is MORE HP NEEDED TO TURN THE ALTERNATOR WITH THE EXTRA LOAD OF THE ACCESSORIES.

The overall load determines how much amperage the car's electrical system will pull from the alternator, the alternator is not pushing its maximum current through the electrical system.

The alternator's output is ac, but there is a diode bridge that turns ac into pulsing dc, and the pulses are smoothed out by the battery.

The bs about the car only needing the cooling fan to run after the car is off to prevent heat soak is just so dumb I can't believe you are serious.

Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE said:

I dont know why he used that fuse instead of using the 20 amp CDF fuse built for an electric fan already in the supra he must have failed to chaif wrap or shorted the wire somewhere.

I have always recomended using the factory fuse instead of the provided one.[/QUOTE]

I don't know who told you that electric fans draw less then 20 amps, but reguardless, it's a big no-no in the 12v industry to use factory fuses for high current aftermarket accessories. Would you rather replace a $5 fuse holder or an entire engine harness and/or fuse box?