hydraulic PS??

suprahflyg

Prodution N's MA70!
Mar 6, 2013
California
So i thought that all supras were hydraulic reaction type? Im wondering if im missing something because they sell hydraulic and non hydraulic power steering pumps.

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
If it's a power steering PUMP, it's hydraulic. Where are they selling these non-hydraulic power steering pumps? It sounds like shenanigans to me.

supranewbie

Mar 23, 2011
46°47.0'N 120°09.0'W
Probably this^ . You can tell by looking at your steering box whether or not you need to buy progressive. There is an electrical connection on it if you have pps.

Last edited:

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
That does seem to be the case, though Toyota refers to it as a hydraulic reactionary chamber, and it's not part of the pump. Most other parts places do seem to refer to it a hydraulic reactionary pump. Intresting. The only noticeable difference between the pumps seems to be the flow control valve.

supranewbie

Mar 23, 2011
46°47.0'N 120°09.0'W
Dirgle;1980838 said:
That does seem to be the case, though Toyota refers to it as a hydraulic reactionary chamber, and it's not part of the pump. Most other parts places do seem to refer to it a hydraulic reactionary pump. Intresting. The only noticeable difference between the pumps seems to be the flow control valve.

Yeah sorry, I first said pump. But it's actually a hydraulic reactionary chamber in the gear box. There is a solenoid controlled by the ecu if you have pps.

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
IJ.;1980842 said:
And pully size.
I've have wondered about this. What is the pulley size difference. I ask because while there are two pulleys listed they are not always separated by a PPS system. take for example, Non-PPS was available on the NA MA70 clear through 1993. However the original pulley, PN:44311-14050 was not listed for the NA after 8/1989. This might just be a peculiarity of the Toyota cross reference system, or maybe there was a manufacture change and very little significant difference between the pulleys. I'm not sure as I have never seen them side by side.

jdmfreak;1980847 said:
The ecu?? What parameters activate it?
The PPS system doesn't interact with the ECU(Engine Control Unit)exactly, thought it does have its own computer. The only input it receives is a speed signal from the speedometer in the combination meter.

supranewbie

Mar 23, 2011
46°47.0'N 120°09.0'W
Dirgle;1980849 said:
I've have wondered about this. What is the pulley size difference. I ask because while there are two pulleys listed they are not always separated by a PPS system. take for example, Non-PPS was available on the NA MA70 clear through 1993. However the original pulley, PN:44311-14050 was not listed for the NA after 8/1989. This might just be a peculiarity of the Toyota cross reference system, or maybe there was a manufacture change and very little significant difference between the pulleys. I'm not sure as I have never seen them side by side.

Pps has smaller pulley/more pressure is my guess. But just a guess.

supranewbie

Mar 23, 2011
46°47.0'N 120°09.0'W
Dirgle;1980849 said:

The PPS system doesn't interact with the ECU(Engine Control Unit)exactly, thought it does have its own computer. The only input it receives is a speed signal from the speedometer in the combination meter.

This is correct. Not THE ecu. It has it's own ecu.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Dirgle;1980849 said:

135mm Vs 150mm from memory D

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
I edited my earlier post... It supplies 5v to make the steering light and reduces the voltage as the speed increases to stiffen the steering... So unplugging the wire makes it stiff all the time