Hybrids to save gas money? I'll stay with my 3.0 I-6 running premium

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Ha - and they don't even take into consideration the most common scenario, which is far worse - for the car manufacturers, anyhow.

My wife drives a '96 Ford Explorer with every possible option from the dealer. Believe it or not, the damn thing actually gets worse gas mileage than my Supra - it costs more to run, even considering that she buys econo fuel and I buy 94 octane.

She wanted to trade in her Explorer for something more fuel efficient. So, I set her down and explained the facts.

Probable trade in value on her Explorer - which we own outright: $6000.
Cost to purchase the Prius: $24000 (After taxes, etc, etc)
Difference: $18000.00

How much money in gasoline will she be saving - about $20 / week, or $1040 per year. So, straight up, it's going to take about 18 years to pay off the Prius with gasoline savings.

Now, consider the fact that I can take that $18k and put it into an investment fund that will make me at least 7% - that's $1260 per year. Hmm... if I take the dividend from the investment and put it towards gasoline for the Explorer, I still come out another $220 ahead every year. And consider that I now own $18k in investments, which will grow in value over time, as opposed to a new car, which will drop in value dramatically over time.

Wonder what those SmartCar drivers think of that? :D

L

lanky189

i could kick my sisters' ass.. she had an oppurtunity to buy a prius for 1500 dollars..just the remaining payments....and she didnt'.. with a deal THAT good..it is gonna save money...
stupid sister....

stupid stupid stupid

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
Prius is the only real hyrid car in my book, the ford escape in that article said it makes 33mpg, umm our crapiler gets like 35 WTF.

Shawndude

Mar 30, 2005
Van BC
When was buying a car a "good financial investment" in the first place? If it was all about just money, we'd all ride tiny cars getting 50+ mpg. Looking around on the road, most people buy cars they like for whatever reason unique to them, cost be damned. I doubt anyone buys an expensive high tech brand new hybrid thinking it be cheaper to drive than a 1992 Civic. It's not about the money, it's about having a "cool" car, whatever your idea of "cool" is.

But being able to ride in the HOV lane as a single occupant, would be worth big $$$ in most peoples books.

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
Supra Sound said:
Dont forget about the honda insight like everyone else has, my dad has one and recently has been getting 63mpg on it to and from work.

the reason that failed was cus it wasnt "trendy" enough for the public to buy and leonardo dicaprio didnt buy it.

i dont get this, the car meant to SAVE you money can only be afforded by the rich with a $30k car, and the people who would NEED to save that money cant afford to get it so they buy old buicks and used hondas. these cars wont save ANYONE money untill hybrid cars take up most of the used car market.

Supra Blues

Virgin Booster
Mar 30, 2005
Supramania
You know, if they would make these hybrids or elec. vehicles look a little better I might consider one. The only one that looks decent is the Escape (cuz my wife as the V-6 non hybrid XLT model) and that's not a true hybrid anyways.

They all make me wanna :barf:

SP 7M

Use your GUY instinct
Apr 6, 2005
Oceanside (for now), CA
www.myspace.com
Finally something halfway useful from the liberal-biased CNN...

I couldn't care less about hybrids or the "statement" they make.

I'll also stick to running premium in my two 3.0 I-6's as well. Believe it or not, my Supra gets slightly better MPG than my Lexus.

I'm a hardcore gas-only advocate.

Travisimo

I need a job
Apr 9, 2005
Sonoma, California
My friend's family bought a used first gen prius. Keeping their early 90's (guessing) accord wagon would have made more financial sense, but they wanted a newer car anyways. I'm really unsurel if buying the hybrid saved them money versus buying a comparable normal car. But, it was worth it for them to know they were consuming and polluting less.