Hx35-62 Oiling Issues

sheedy126

Boost Addict
Apr 30, 2012
kennewick
I sent off my stock hx35 off to driftmotion about 7-8 months ago to get the 62mm billet wheel upgrade and a full rebuild.
right off the bat i noticed smoking at idle, the turbo lasted about 6 months then i went to start it up one day and a huge smoke cloud came out of the exhaust. turbo was done.
so i got it back to driftmotion for a rebuild and have it installed currently and seems to be doing the same thing...

my question is, what kind of oil pressure do these hx35's like and should i be running a restrictor?

being low pressure that the 7m is, is it too little oil pressure... or too much for this turbo? is there a better option out threre that will go better with my setup?
im seeing about 3psi @ idle and 25-30 @ 3k rpm
feed line is -4 no restrictor, return is -10 no kinks free flowing

heres a few pics of the setup.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Should be -3 feed iirc and usually -10-12 drain. 10 should be fine as long as it has a clear path.

Could also use a restrictor on the -4.

Sounds like too much oil or not enough drain and it's blowing past the seal.

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
Oil pressure of 150 kPa (20 lbf/in2) must show at the turbocharger oil inlet within 3 - 4 seconds of engine firing to prevent damage to turbocharger bearing system .A flexible supply pipe is recommended.
The minimum oil pressure when the engine is on load must be 210 kPa (30 lbf/in2). Maximum permissible operating pressure is 500 kPa (72 lbf/in2) although 600 kPa (88 lbf/in2) is permitted during cold start up. Under idling conditions pressure should not fall below 70 kPa (10 lbf/in2).

Taken directly from http://www.myholsetturbo.com/manuals/HX30_32_35_38_40_GW.pdf##InstallationData

sheedy126

Boost Addict
Apr 30, 2012
kennewick
In getting the correct oil pressure under load and on startup

What size restrictor would you recommend since I'm running -4 feed? Instead of -3

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

sheedy126

Boost Addict
Apr 30, 2012
kennewick
I was thinking that could be a lot of the problem as well.

Really the only thing I can think of to raise idle oil pressure is to take off the front subframe, pull the pan and shim the oil pump relief spring.

I ordered a fitting I can put inline of my feed line and see exactly what psi I'm getting to the turbo, hopefully it will be here soon

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2