HPF full face clutch disc slipping

mk3ukr

Apr 12, 2005
Odessa, Ukraine
mk3ukr-supra.net
I have major problem when trying to drag race with full face HPF feramic clutch. I had RPS 3200lb 6-puck clutch for 3000 miles, then purchased HPF full face feramic disc to use with used RPS 3200lb pressure plate. Fidanza flywheel has some scores and burn marks, but not very bad.
I slip clutch for 1-2 seconds when launch, when I switch to 2nd, then 3rd and 4th gears rpm go straight to redline, below is datalog. Redline was set to 6600rpm, rpm graph is red line on the top

If I launch less agressively it starts slipping in 3rd or 4th gear. There is absolutely no smell of burning clutch, I am puzzled here. Probably I should have bought 6 puck feramic disc, it is more suitable for drag racing
Any ideas?
Thanks

kwnate

Lurker
Jul 10, 2005
None of your fucking business
I'm having similar problems with the hpf disc and lightweight flywheel... Call Josh and tell him to stop selling their discs to people with lightwieght flywheels. I think thats where the problem lies. Mine stuck to the flywheel...

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
My "Guess" on this issue is the Disc and Flywheel insert have similar materials in their friction surfaces and when slipped build up enough heat to friction weld!
(This is how a lot of turbine shafts are made they spin the shaft then while spinning press it into the wheel then bring it to a stop)

mk3ukr

Apr 12, 2005
Odessa, Ukraine
mk3ukr-supra.net
Thanks guys for the replies. Not to sound stupid - if clutch and flywheel inserts friction weld why it just slips like crazy. It slips like wheels suspended in the air. If I drop the clutch from 3500 rpm it doesn't slip so badly in 2nd gear and higher. I even don't try to launch from 5000rpm.
If I glazed clutch disc is there any chance it's surface will be restored back to more or less normal after some time of normal city driving? Never had problems with clutch, hence these questions

mk3ukr

Apr 12, 2005
Odessa, Ukraine
mk3ukr-supra.net
Ian, any idea is Fidanza flywheel resurfaceable? I don't mind to buy new inserts but it takes too long to get it here to Ukraine.

P.S. Another thought - possibly I overfilled tranny with oil, I filled it from top and it takes too long for Redline shockproof to start seeping from overflow hole. I could easily put 0.5 ltr more than necessary

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2003
Canada
I have heard nothing but nad things about the Feramic. I personnaly have run the "cer"amic disk for a year with many passes at the track and along with the SCC event and cruisin on top of that. I run an OEM flywheel. Car has put down 665&651TQ. We will see if it can hold my new power goals

Duane

born2drv

Banned
Nov 1, 2005
Burbank, CA
mk3ukr -- how much power are you running? also, when did you get your full face feramic?

HPF has assured me it will hold 500 no problems, and up to 600hp/tq. they also said that the new full face feramics are better then the older version (they were redesigned or manufactured differently sometime about 6 months ago I believe). So maybe you have the older version?

I chose it over the 6 puck because I still want to be able to slip it and drive it like a stock clutch (especially since I live in california and in a very hilly area). mine is being installed as we speak, hopefully it will be done mon/tues, just waiting for my short shifter.

i'm right around 450 hp/tq now and i don't see myself going much over 500 in the short term, so i hope it holds for now. but i'd be very interested to know how old yours is, and how much power you're running.

also i plan to use the stock flywheel based on what i've read from kwnate, upgradedsupra and others...

VanSupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Van,B.C.
Stock flywheel, stock disc with RPS 3200lb @ 566rwhp 500torque, no problems with the disc at this power level. It will be fed more soon.

I should add that I launch my 3915lb car @ 7500rpm slipping the clutch through first then bang the living sh_t out of it through 4th gear like every guy should. :)

Last edited:

lintlars

ROOTS RADICALS
Apr 1, 2005
Ft.St.John BC
www.cardomain.com
Ive had both the fullface and I now have the 6 puck Feramic I had the fullface version weld on me, Ill be taking the 6 puck to the track in a few days Ill keep ya posted on how it holds up MAKE SURE you take HPF to task and get a replacment or a refund since they also failed to tell you about the issues concerning this clutch and lightweight flywheels.

mk3ukr

Apr 12, 2005
Odessa, Ukraine
mk3ukr-supra.net
born2drv said:
mk3ukr -- how much power are you running? also, when did you get your full face feramic?

I never dynoed my car, hope it makes close to 600 flywheel hp. My setup is in my signature. Site is not updated, I added recently race prepped head with Ferrea valvetrain parts. Car is VERY light, that particular run was with boost set 1.5bar, it went only to 1.2 bar because engine was not loaded due to slipping clutch.
I tried this clutch when tuned EMS on 1.7 bar on 3rd gear, it held very well.
I think feramic disc is not suitable at all for drag racing. Aluminium flywheel was not an issue for me, Fidanza FW inserts in better condition than 3200lb pressure plate.
Clutch disc was purchased in April this year. Before I ran 6-puck RPS clutch for about 3.5K miles. So, I left used 3200lb pressure plate and changed disc only, run it in for about 400 miles. :icon_conf

mk3ukr

Apr 12, 2005
Odessa, Ukraine
mk3ukr-supra.net
DrJones, very much possible, I don't want to blame HPF or demand refund.
I put back my old RPS 6-puck disc, now my flywheel and pressure plate are in far worse condition, had to remove clutch disc material with scraper and rough sandpaper. Want to run in clutch disc for 500 miles and try it on the strip. If it holds - HPF disc not so suitable for drag racing.
Will report it in this thread