hpf clutch disk and stock pp? dumb?

souprat

Mar 30, 2005
fairfax VA
is anyone running the hpf 6 puck sprung hub disk with a stock pp? would this be a bad idea or would i just be giving up on the 600hp holding ability of the clutch? not be able to hold 600 is not a big deal to me cuz its not likely i will ever see that much power. i'm getting fed up with my clutch problems and am almost ready to try another company besides spec. and can anyone tell me if its organic matirial or what? the hpf kit comes with ether a rps max pp or a act pp, i figure if the act pp has similar holding to the stocker than i'll just keep the stock pp.

its ether going to be this or a spec stage 3, which i know uses the stock pp. any input appriciated. thanks guys and i'm off to work!

aye mate

Hiatus over.
Mar 30, 2005
Maryland
Another option would be a stock disc and ACT or RPS PP. Bigaaron held almost 400 ft.lbs with the ACT PP and stock disc for a long time, heck, he might still be using it.

malloynx

Mar 30, 2005
NC
i'm going to say no. i'm still trying to find a single disc to hold my HP. i called SPEC the other day and they assure me there new stage 3+ will hold 600rwhp+ :)

souprat

Mar 30, 2005
fairfax VA
yeah malloynx i saw your other thread about trying to find a good clutch when i did a search this morning. but your power output and mine are very different, i'm only hoping to put down half of what your making. so yeah for your car a hpf disk and stock pp would suck big time but what about mine?

i just wanted to know if the hpf disk is designed in some way for more clamping than the stock pp can produce and just will not work with a stock pp?? the hpf disk is much cheaper than a spec disk, almost half the price.

and i want to upgrade the disk(not run the stock one) for durabilaty reasons. i dont imagine the stock disck holding up to repeated launches. the input is appreciated guys.

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
aye mate said:
Another option would be a stock disc and ACT or RPS PP. Bigaaron held almost 400 ft.lbs with the ACT PP and stock disc for a long time, heck, he might still be using it.

:biglaugh: Still got it, and I know i'm over 400ft/lbs now!
It's actually a TRD pp but it is made for TRD by ACT, exact same thing.
Stock disk FTW! Sometime the multi puck disks can be a little hard to drive, sometimes they feel almost like stock. I think the sprung hub is a good idea. At 600hp it's not gonna work, you would need a twin plate or really beefy single plate clutch.

aye mate

Hiatus over.
Mar 30, 2005
Maryland
bigaaron said:
:biglaugh: Still got it, and I know i'm over 400ft/lbs now!
It's actually a TRD pp but it is made for TRD by ACT, exact same thing.
Stock disk FTW! Sometime the multi puck disks can be a little hard to drive, sometimes they feel almost like stock. I think the sprung hub is a good idea. At 600hp it's not gonna work, you would need a twin plate or really beefy single plate clutch.
Wish I would have thought of this about 2 years ago. :biglaugh:

Halsupramk3

Apr 4, 2005
Mississippi
i have the act pp, hfp bronze sprung 6 puck, and fidenza fw. It can be a little difficult to engage smoothly from a dead stop. you have to start off with about 2000 rpms even in traffic to get the light weight fw to move the car. the bronze is smooth once you get the feel of this system. it does have a small engagement zone. if you are under 400 whp i would think organic would work with a higher clamping force. the engagement and driveability would be much better over a 6 puck. A heavier fw will help drivability from a stop also. But for a bronze 6 puck the hpf is a good engaging streetable clutch.

hottscennessey

DONT BE A BITCH!
Jun 3, 2005
Richmond, VA
hmm I've been beating on my car for the past 9 months with a stock clutch and pp. I have over 400 ft/lbs on low boost. I guess this wont last long.

souprat

Mar 30, 2005
fairfax VA
does anyone know what the clamping force on the act pp is? i know the stock one is like 1800 or so. if teh act is not much more i think i'll try it. just cant beat the price vs the spec disks.