HPF bronze Vs. RPS stage 3

supra87t/t4

Phase Two
Apr 9, 2005
MPLS, MN
My latest supra came with a ACT HD pressure plate and 4 spoke unsprung disk, it is truly awful to drive :3d_frown: My past cars have had good success with the oldschool RPS stage 3, smooth engagement and held 400 RWHP and plenty of drag racing with some pretty sticky tires. However, I get the feeling that most people would think that I was right on the edge with that clutch. I need to replace that solid hub disk with something driveable, but current plans call for 4XX RWHP. I will keep the ACT HD PP in there, which seems like the logical choice, and I think I've narrowed the disk down to two options.

RPS 6 spoke sprung hub
PROS
I already have one
I know the drivebility will be like stock
CONS
Marginal power handling ability for my goals?

HPF Bronze 6 spoke sprung hub
PROS
Should handle any power I ever want to make
CONS
$324 (ouch)
Driveability should be good, but probably not quite like stock

I'm leaning toward just going with what I have for now, it's not that hard to swith to the bronze later, unless I get a bunch of people telling me how much they love the bronze or a bunch telling me the RPS stg3 died at just over 400RWHP. Although I think the ACT HD plate will help the RPS disk hold more than it did with the RPS sport plate (this is not the 3200lb MAX plate)

Forgot to add I will be using a Chromoly light weight flywheel.

supra87t/t4

Phase Two
Apr 9, 2005
MPLS, MN
I didn't see anyone selling a full face disc that wasn't organic or kevlar or feramic($), after looking more at the ACT clutches though I better figure out if I have the HD or the Extreme PP.

EDIT Actually, the SPEC 3+ disk would fit the bill, just need to find it for less than $324 (EDIT Robert quoted someone $299 for the 3+ disc almost a year ago, hardly worth the saving over the bronze but it is full face...) A south bend FE (feramic) may fall in this price range too since the whole kit is several hundred less than an HPF feramic kit.

Last edited:

oscolivar1

Supraism
Feb 8, 2006
Virginia beach
i say go for the HPF disk.
from what i hear its very streetable in stop and go traffic.
wingman used it and said the same thing and i bought it from him.
justin727 and x-man have it as well.
if they come in they will tell u the drivability.

get the HPF disk and you'll never have to go back in.
alrdy proven to hold 600+ tq

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
oscolivar1 said:
i say go for the HPF disk.

x-man have it as well.
if they come in they will tell u the drivability.

get the HPF disk and you'll never have to go back in.
alrdy proven to hold 600+ tq

yes! by far the best clutch ive ever driven. x-man has the rps max pp tho. ive driven his car, and it is very streetable. not off/on, no chatter, just smooth and it flat out holds the power (over 600rw, multiple dyno runs, multiple track runs). he built another supra for willie using the bronze disc and act pp. i never drove that one, but willie is putting down ~500rw and is very happy w/ his setup as well.

oscolivar1

Supraism
Feb 8, 2006
Virginia beach
stratoayu said:
aslong as you dont have an aluminum flywheel, go with the hpf disc.

oh yea very tru...
use the stock OEM flywheel and resurface it.
using an aluminum FW will melt and weld to the disk if it gets hot down in the tranny.

OneJArpus

Supramania Contributor
Jul 1, 2005
Newark, New Jersey, United States
JustAnotherVictim said:
TS2-HD00 Full kit
TYSD804 full face disk.

If you really want it.

http://www.sportcompactwarehouse.com/PROD/TYSD804

It's out there. (not vouching for that site btw)

I have that disk & pp, its rated at 405 ft lb of tq. Should be good but we'll see i plan on using it with a BPU seutp and hopefully graduate to a 450whp car by mid 08

i got mine from drift motion and i can vouch for them :) great people great site (see sig)
sm_photo_missing.jpg

supra87t/t4

Phase Two
Apr 9, 2005
MPLS, MN
I'm using a chromoly lightweight flywheel, will that be OK.

I have the ACT HD pressure plate, I'm not sure why HPF lists an Extreme PP for the Supra, ACT doesn't show it on their site...

The ACT with the stock disc is only rated at 405, which isn't enough, and it uses a 32% stiffer PP to do it, the RPS disc I already have is rated at 420 with only a 10% stiffer PP. A rough estimate would suggest the RPS disc with a 32% stiffer PP should hold 500.

Last edited:

TobyCat

Jul 14, 2006
Vancouver BC
TaSe: Can you take some front/back pictures of that ACT clutch disk for me? I just ordered the HD00 kit, and I think they sent me a disk for a W58 :( It wouldn't clear the fidanza flywheel.

MRSUPRA

Apr 11, 2005
Maryland
I have the Bronse and it will probably hold anything you will throw at it. But as far as being street friendly, I wouild have to give it a C. Even after all the break-in procedures, its still a harsh and somewhat chattery clutch.
The Feramic full face should be much smoother$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Zazzn

l33t M0derat0r (On some other forum) n00blet here
Apr 1, 2005
Toronto/SF Bay area
now what kind a pressure plate you guys running with the bronze?
Stock?

I have the RPS 3200 and with the puck that came with it was vicious and would hold anything i threw at it but it broke transmissions like anything...

I tried testing out some things and going RPS3200 with a full face kevlar disc... While it did make it super smooth and very easy to drive day to day, it didn't hold the power if you shock it or heat the clutch... I would get about 1-2 passes down the 1/4 before the clutch would slip... it did hold 523 WHP to it's credit but thats all becuase of the extra pressure of the pressure plate.

I was thinking of doing a half kevlar half cermaic to see if that would work... but i don't know if I want to be brave... what I need is something to slip JUST a LITTLE during shocking the transmission do I don't break it.. and yet will hold anything i throw at it.

89turbosupra

Jun 10, 2006
oxnard
What about a centerforce dual friction? They are very smooth to operate and can hold a lot of power. It says they hold 90% more power than stock.

MRSUPRA

Apr 11, 2005
Maryland
I'm using the ACT pressure plate with my Bronse.

Zazzn, thats interesting that the full face would not hold the power. I'm surprised.. I guess the Feramic puck style is the way to go.

oscolivar1

Supraism
Feb 8, 2006
Virginia beach
MRSUPRA said:
I'm using the ACT pressure plate with my Bronse.

Zazzn, thats interesting that the full face would not hold the power. I'm surprised.. I guess the Feramic puck style is the way to go.

so how do u like the act pp and Bronze combo?

MRSUPRA

Apr 11, 2005
Maryland
The pedal effort is not bad, and its held the power. So I can't complain too much. Its just not as smooth as some other clutches.