Howling noise When Decelertaing...

Supra-Man18

Nov 24, 2007
miami
Took the supe on the highway the other night and around 60-70 ish if i get off the throttle and jus let it cruise it makes low ( whooooooooo ) and when i accelerate it goes away...In first gear when im accelerating easy it does it slightly also. What Can Cause this ? Im assuming its the diff but what can be wrong with it ...

nightmare

Sep 19, 2008
Southern Indiana
Does it sound like it's coming from the rear? It could be gear lash in the rear end's ring and pinion(if it's got a lot of miles on it). A dry u-joint in the drive shaft could make a noise too.
Is your car an auto or manual trans?

Supra-Man18

Nov 24, 2007
miami
nightmare;1207217 said:
Does it sound like it's coming from the rear? It could be gear lash in the rear end's ring and pinion(if it's got a lot of miles on it). A dry u-joint in the drive shaft could make a noise too.
Is your car an auto or manual trans?

The Car is a 5 spd.. and i never really paid attention to my rear views at that moment.. And yes the sound is from the Rear.

nightmare

Sep 19, 2008
Southern Indiana
If you get a chance. You might jack both rear tires off the ground. Then put the car in neutral and spin the tires by hand. There's only a few things that could be making a noise. And you should be able to recreate it by turning it all by hand.
First, check to make sure there's no wobble or roughness of the wheels turning. (this is to check the wheel bearings.)
Second, grab the CV axle (goes from the diff to the tire) and make sure there is not a massive amount of play while turning it by hand forward and backward. (this is to check the condition of the cv joint.)
Third, grab the driveshaft and turn it and back sure there's no massive play from turning it back and forth. And see if it feels rough when turning it too (this checks to see if the u-joints are bad.)
Hopefully you'll be able to re-create your noise. And find out where exactly it's coming from. It should narrow it down.

Supra-Man18

Nov 24, 2007
miami
nightmare;1207234 said:
If you get a chance. You might jack both rear tires off the ground. Then put the car in neutral and spin the tires by hand. There's only a few things that could be making a noise. And you should be able to recreate it by turning it all by hand.
First, check to make sure there's no wobble or roughness of the wheels turning. (this is to check the wheel bearings.)
Second, grab the CV axle (goes from the diff to the tire) and make sure there is not a massive amount of play while turning it by hand forward and backward. (this is to check the condition of the cv joint.)
Third, grab the driveshaft and turn it and back sure there's no massive play from turning it back and forth. And see if it feels rough when turning it too (this checks to see if the u-joints are bad.)
Hopefully you'll be able to re-create your noise. And find out where exactly it's coming from. It should narrow it down.

OK ill try that 2morro...So what about the diff itself ?

nightmare

Sep 19, 2008
Southern Indiana
You should be able to hear any noises from it when you're turning everything. It would probably be in something other than the diff itself. Unless it's really loud. Usually the rear will whine if the gears are worn, or it might sound like you got mud terrain tires on the car (at least that was the case in my old mustang).
I've heard of limited slip rear on other cars make noise if the clutches are burned up. But I don't know how the rear end operates on our supras:nono:. I'm still new to the car. But I know the basic mechanics of anything else I've worked on.
I hope this helps. Good luck.

Frankenstien

Mar 2, 2008
Lower Mainland, B.C.
Check your tire wear, a lot of "weird" noise can be attributed to them. Check for excessive feathering and cupping. Also, it might be your wheel bearings. My Celica makes a howling noise from the rear and I'm 85% sure it's one or both of the rear wheel bearings. I haven't got around to checking/replacing them as it's kind of a bitch to do. My third guess would be your differential.

Try driving the car around a bit just to test it. Throw it in neutral down a hill, see if the noise persists. See if it is speed sensitive (louder going faster, louder going slower, etc) These things and other "tests" will help us narrow the problem down.

HTH

Supra-Man18

Nov 24, 2007
miami
Frankenstien;1207565 said:
Check your tire wear, a lot of "weird" noise can be attributed to them. Check for excessive feathering and cupping. Also, it might be your wheel bearings. My Celica makes a howling noise from the rear and I'm 85% sure it's one or both of the rear wheel bearings. I haven't got around to checking/replacing them as it's kind of a bitch to do. My third guess would be your differential.

Try driving the car around a bit just to test it. Throw it in neutral down a hill, see if the noise persists. See if it is speed sensitive (louder going faster, louder going slower, etc) These things and other "tests" will help us narrow the problem down.

HTH

OK no problem ill let you guys know 2morro...