how well does the w-58 hold up when attached to a 7mgte?

chefma70

Mar 19, 2008
Florida
i will finally be starting my supra in the next few days finally after 5 months of work!!!!!! i have heard horror stories about how na transmissions blow up.

i will be running an oem clutch.my friend recommended an oem cause the clutch will slip before the tranny blows according to him.

tell me how yours is working.

thanks
chef

thesupragod

Supramania Contributor
Apr 10, 2005
Mount Vernon, Ohio
They really dont do that bad if they arent abused much.

My friend put down 325 hp on his with a better than stock clutch and rode it hard, probably 30 passes at the 1/8 mile track and a few thousand driving around before he saved up enough for a r154.

Just be weary of high rpm clutch dumps, that will effect the longetivity. If you keep it to rolling power / acceleration then it will be just fine!

Good luck!

RedGT

Aug 18, 2006
Baltimore, MD
Yep, its usually the shock load of a clutch dump or really agressive driving that will kill weaker transmissions. Just go to a WRX forum and check around for how they drive. They slip their trannys alot because they had 'glass transmissions'. I know I used to have one. I have a GTE on a W58 now. Its yet to be proven for me but Im confident in it for atleast the short term.

svnmpwr1990

Feb 9, 2009
San Angelo
I ran a w58 on my gte and trust me do not powershift, it will blow up with a quickness i learned the hard way. make sure if you want it to last for a while, you dont abuse it. i have heard of some decent #s being put down with w58s though.

Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE

SF what a waste of supras
Jun 22, 2006
SoCal
www.myspace.com
Your w-58 will hold up fine for a 7M-GTE
stock hp and tq no problem.

There is upgrades for it like streight cut gears
or use the JZ w-58.

When you build up to/pass 300-350whp start to worry for the stock w-58.
In the mean time enjoy your smoother crisper shifts.

chefma70

Mar 19, 2008
Florida
my friend told me that he knows lots of cars pushing 400+ with w-58's.

he also told me that 3rd 4th and 5th gear almost never break. the only gears that ever blow are 1st and 2nd.so i can only race from rolls and roll in the power.

can i redline shift in third gear to 4th and 5th with the w-58? or will that cause problems?

still waiting for my intercooler piping to arrive........:mad::x:

1-2clutch-u

Feb 18, 2006
chi town and ohio
ok this thread is kinda fail. its the tq that kills trannnys. but im gte and run a w58 on high boost I put out about 400flbs to the wheels and I have snapped one w58 so far. Comming home one day getting on the highway shifted into 3rd and rolled into the power at about 70% snap grind and shifted into 4th clunk clunk and no 5th. so yes 3rd will break I rec rolling on in 4th bec its 1:1 on the main shaft. {i could be wrong} but just take a ez on it. I love my w58, it hates my 2.0 60ft times at the track.

Fuzz420

Are U Here 2 take My Baby
chefma70;1413332 said:
my friend told me that he knows lots of cars pushing 400+ with w-58's.

he also told me that 3rd 4th and 5th gear almost never break. the only gears that ever blow are 1st and 2nd.so i can only race from rolls and roll in the power.

can i redline shift in third gear to 4th and 5th with the w-58? or will that cause problems?

still waiting for my intercooler piping to arrive........:mad::x:

i dont know about 3,4,5th gears, but i regularly bang the limiter in 1st, and 2nd with no ill effect so far

Altezza576

Jul 17, 2009
New York
I just installed a w58 on my GTE. I will update you guys in a few weeks. I dont forsee any issues as the motor is basically stock and the clutch is an OEM replacement.