How to wire up an electric fan?

RockPaperSwoRD

I have aCustom User Title
Jul 26, 2008
SanAntonio
I want to run a ford taurus E fan on my car, its commonly used because it pushes alot of air for a stock fan .
my question is if I take off the twin AC fans, and combine the two separate leads, could i use the combined power to power a the 16" fan?

does anyone know if it will turn on to cool the engine or only turn on when the AC is on?

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
x2 on the switch suggestion. Wiring is probably my weakest point when working on a car, but even I was able to figure it out with a bit of advice. ;)

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
relay and running full time is the best and have it on switch so it easyer to start in the morning

plus it is the cheapest way

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
Id get a thermo switch. You'll get to 210 quick with out air flow in the heat + AC usage.

Make sure theres a fuse between he battery and relay, wire size needs to be considered as well as current draw. Its a complete system and should be treated as such.

limequat

Dissident
Apr 1, 2005
Detroit
I'm currently running this fan in my Supra. The stock wiring for just about any circuit is not going to cut it. The wiring to the condensor fans is on the order of 18AWG.

Here's how I have mine wired up:
10 AWG wire off of 60 Amp fusible link to high speed power.
10 AWG wire from fan ground to 30/40 Amp Relay from Summit (< $5)
The relay ground is then connected directly to the battery negative.
I'm currently not using the low speed setting, so that wire is left open.
Relay is controlled by my PCM, but you can get cheap thermal switches to do the same job.

The taurus fan has massive transients on power on. People have measured over 70 amps. This is why it's important to put the relay on the negative side, as constant current is more like 30 amps. You need to have a fuse or fuseable link on the high side so you don't burn your ride down when you accidently short the battery to the core support :)

Don't rely on a switch to activate your relay. You forget, or someone else drives your car and you banana your head.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
I also tend to wire the relays so that when something fails - the signal to turn on, for instance - the fans come on by default. I don't like the idea of a system where a fault leaves you without a fan.

limequat

Dissident
Apr 1, 2005
Detroit
GrimJack;1606408 said:
I also tend to wire the relays so that when something fails - the signal to turn on, for instance - the fans come on by default. I don't like the idea of a system where a fault leaves you without a fan.

Good point, though I think not always possible.

If you have the intestinal fortidute, OEMs generally use at least one more relay than devices they're driving. Stare at a schematic for -say- a maxima for long enough and you'll realize that any single point failure will have a neglible effect on the system.

GM does some cool stuff in software (free). They can check for a failing relay by monitoring its output voltage. If they detect overheating or low oil, they'll put the engine into a reduced power mode.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
limequat;1606417 said:
Good point, though I think not always possible.

If you have the intestinal fortidute, OEMs generally use at least one more relay than devices they're driving. Stare at a schematic for -say- a maxima for long enough and you'll realize that any single point failure will have a neglible effect on the system.

Exactly the kind of system I like to replicate.