How to: Valve Cover gasket replacement (help)

MK3_Turbo

JZZ31
Mar 31, 2005
Arkansas
www.myspace.com
need help with replacing the valve cover gaskets..please :1zhelp: maybe a step by step with pics too(if possible).
i got a repair manual but i just wanna make sure i;m doing it right. plus the Haynes repair manual is confusing.:icon_conf :1zhelp: :icon_bigg

thanks in advance!

aye mate

Hiatus over.
Mar 30, 2005
Maryland
1: Remove 3000 pipe(hose clamps at IC pipe and TB, 2 bolts for vaccum hard line,
2: Remove PCV line, (Behind 3000 pipe, attaches to TB, each valve cover and accordian hose)
3: Remove throttle linkage( 2 12mm nuts just above exhaust manifold and one 10mm bolt above spark plug cover.)
4: Remove plastic engine cover (Has DOHC, 24 VALVE, Turbo writing, attached with 4 nuts)
5: Remove coil pack(underneath DOHC cover, held on by 4 nuts, also unplug all plug wires)
6: Remove spark plug wires(they just pull out, BE SURE TO MARK WHERE EACH ONE CAME FROM IF NOT ALREADY MARKED)
7: Remove valve covers using phillips head screw driver, being careful as to not round out the heads.

NOTE: I would advise replacing the phillips head bolts with hex head bolts. Just take a phillips head bolt to HomeDepot or a hardware store and match the threads and length.
ALSO: Firing order for plugs wires when hooking back to coil pack is 1-6-3-4-2-5

Last edited:
N

NDBoost

FIPG or stuff called "The Right Stuff" comes in a pressurized can its black liquid almost like RTV except it sets and drys to the touch in 2mins

siman

Lifetime Ban
Mar 31, 2005
Murfreesboro, TN
www.cardomain.com
I would do what NDBoost said to do.

Use factory rubber seals, but COAT them with some type of RTV hi-temp silicone. So when you compress the valve covers on the head, not only will the rubber gasket shape and seal, the RTV around the gasket will act as a second barrier against harmful heat ( corrosive over time to the rubber gasket) and oil.

Also, replace those factory valve cover bolts with allen wrench bolts with some LOCK washers on them so they DO NOT come loose.

That is why so many of us 7m owners have oil covered heads....

-Jonathan

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
siman, lock washers arent necessary. the stock cove washers work perfecly. i replaced my stock screws with some hex head bolts, and new cove washers, and have no problems with them loosening.

-shaeff

siman

Lifetime Ban
Mar 31, 2005
Murfreesboro, TN
www.cardomain.com
Its ok mate...no need to get upedy.

A lock washer, looks like a piston ring, when it compresses the washer binds together and locks into the bolt head or mating surface of the valve cover.

Maybe we are not on the same page.:icon_conf

-Jonathan

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Not uppity at all!

The rubber doodads allow the Covers to move around a bit as they expand/contract with the heat so if you bolt the covers down without them you may end up with more leaks than you're trying to fix!

N

NDBoost

IJ. said:
Not uppity at all!

The rubber doodads allow the Covers to move around a bit as they expand/contract with the heat so if you bolt the covers down without them you may end up with more leaks than you're trying to fix!
agreed, i dont have them on mine and i dont like what its doing :)

i have allen head bolts as well..

Wendigo

Ericsplosion
Jul 25, 2005
New Paltz NY
"i belive its in the neighborhood of 25-35 ftlbs hold on"

Lol, that may turn into a bad time! Did that once, won't do it again.

N

NDBoost

just tighten with a ratchet until they are tight.. i dont think its that necessary to tq em down like a frickin headbolt lol..

CSquared

Apr 5, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Anyone know the "official" name or toyota part number for those little rubber grommit things? I think im going with the arp valve cover stud kit and need to pick up the necessities(gaskets, grommets, and such)

SupraDreamPDR

Boost-a-holic!!
Feb 3, 2006
Springfield, OH.
im about to under take this task also... got oil all over the motor and where the spark plugs go. i gather that all i need is the 2 valve cover gaskets, some FIPG/"right stuff' aka RTV sealent and new hex bolts to replace the phillips head screws. is that all? where would be a good place to get the gaskets? Toyota dealership?

staticpat

Supra Chair!
Mar 30, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Well mine are leaking down the whole engine now after I replaced the seals. Actually spilling onto the road as I drive. I only did RTV around the corners, not along the whole gasket. Now I have to re-do them :<