how to test coil not firing and possible bad injector?? [resolved]

str8_6

master yuepeng
Mar 14, 2007
wa
So working on a friends 1jz. Everything stock.

First issue is no power to coil number 6 only. My main question is, is there anything in between the wires from the igniter to the coils or is it just straight wiring? I was thinking of checking continuity from igniter plug to coil and seeing if there's a possible break. Which pin would that be on the igniter? I know it is not the coil because I swapped it with the other one's...it is only when you plug the coil to that plug that it does not fire. IGC6 should be yellow/red and black/orange from the igniter to coil.

Issue two, the car gets HORRIBLE and loud pop and backfire. We notice that when unplugging number 3 injector it runs smooth. What would be your takes on diagnosing this? I was thinking take it out and apply direct 12V to make sure it is opening and closing and maybe also swap it with a good one to see if the issue moves with the injector. If determined to be a sticking injector, run fuel with high concentration of bk44 through it??

check engine light was on, but went away. code 14 which I'm sure is the direct result of issue one.

thanks in advance

UPDATE:
So I checked continuity from the igniter plug straight to the coil plug. Weird thing is that it registered, but still no fire. We jumped it with a new wire anyway and it started working. Weird. Must've been a weak signal. Somehow it also fixed the number 4 misfire issue. Maybe number 4 wasn't a bad injector. Maybe it was somehow effecting how the number 4 coil fire...throwing it off and causing it to backfire like crazy.

Anyway, all fixed now. Seems like this is a somewhat common issue. updating in case others come across this issue.

Last edited: