How to stop the dead call I keep getting 43 times today!

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Anyone know of how I can stop this F**king dead line from calling my house phone. When I *69 it I get (111) 111 1111. Called my local phone company and they are apparently powerless to stop the caller. They claim it is a skype or internet caller and they cannot tell where it is coming from and therefor cannot block it.

The calls are nuts, no kidding 43 times today.

Nothing there every time I answer, just dead air.

Any helpful or constructive suggestions?

Thanks.

Tango_hotel

serial thread killer
Oct 13, 2007
Texas
I was having the same problem last year- googled the number, and found that it was a scam operation. Is this on a cell phone or a land line?

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
Flateric;1601294 said:
Anyone know of how I can stop this F**king dead line from calling my house phone. When I *69 it I get (111) 111 1111. Called my local phone company and they are apparently powerless to stop the caller. They claim it is a skype or internet caller and they cannot tell where it is coming from and therefor cannot block it.

The calls are nuts, no kidding 43 times today.

Nothing there every time I answer, just dead air.

Any helpful or constructive suggestions?

Thanks.

Probably a telemarketer auto dialer - these things call out and then if there's no telemarketer available, you get dead air. The telemarketing industry is a cesspool of unethical practices.

You should be able to call your telephone company and file a harassment complaint. You just need to get past the lazy person who doesn't want to deal with it. There is no such thing as an untraceable phone call. Ask for a supervisor - keep pushing - annoy them as much as you are being annoyed.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
Scot;1601625 said:
you can try something like this..... they actually work on calls generated from an auto dialer that call centers use...

http://home-and-office-phone-depot.com/pages/products/telezapper.htm

Yes, but the phone still rings, and if the telemarketer has a non-compliant system (i.e. - one that ignores the tone) it won't work.

With that said, all this device does is play the proper SIT (Special Information Tone) disconnect code over the phone.

You can do the same thing by just playing it on your computer while holding the handset up to the speaker. The SIT tone is attached to this post - download it and give it a try.

If you have voicemail, you can add this tone to the beginning of the recording and it will work there as well.

Attachments

• sit_disconnected&#4.wav
    43.9 KB · Views: 15

Scot

Enough is Never Enough
Jan 9, 2008
Houston, TX
Adding the tone to the voicemail is a good idea! I would try that..... It will work for cell phones too! I love it when you learn something valuable and costs nothing....

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
Scot;1601660 said:
Adding the tone to the voicemail is a good idea! I would try that..... It will work for cell phones too! I love it when you learn something valuable and costs nothing....

Once you understand how a system works, it's easy to fuck with it... :D

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
My god here it is 1:30AM and since midnight that damned number has called 3 times. Calling the phone company has gotten me no-where at all. Same story from the supervisor, nothing they can do they claim. And yes the disconnect code does seem to work, unfortunately it doesn't prevent the damned phone from ringing in the first place before getting to it.

I do know that it is some type of telemarketer or automated calling system due to the fact that a few minutes after the first call the system then rings my smartring line which is call waiting and just a couple digits off of my "real" number.

I seriously hate the fact that I have to go through all the trouble of changing my number to get away from this. For me this is ALOT of trouble because I then have to contact people I know all over the world with my new contact information.

Some day this will be a problem that can be tracked back to the original caller and result in the ability to charge them, atleast I hope so. Ignorant, rude, shadey and downright inconsiderate if you ask me. Wish I could have just 10 minutes in a room with whomever setup this calling system to "express" my unhappiness in his choice to do so.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
At this point it's harrasment, I'd be looking into getting the police involved and see if they can persuade the phone company to get off their ass...