How-to: Replace dash switch lights.

IanC

Jul 13, 2012
Maryville, TN
When I got my Supra several of the dash switches had bulbs out. Things like this bug me so I set about trying to find replacement bulbs and had no luck. People suggested going with LEDs which, though good looking, I had no desire to tear my dash/cluster/etc. to do. I finally gave up on finding drop-in replacements that included the rubber bit and found these at Radio Shack;
DSC00819.jpg

Radio Shack part #272-1092 (Pkg of 2)
#7219 Micro Lamp bulb
12V; 60mA; 0.15MSCP; rated at 10,000 hours
Cost: $1.99

Example of replacement:
Pull a switch from your dash, this can be done with gentle prying. For this example I'll be using the defroster switch but they are all pretty similar. Gently pry the rear of the switch from the housing, this can be tricky sometimes and using two small jewelers flathead screwdrivers made life a bit easier for some of the switches. Once you have your switch apart you should have something like this:
DSC00820.jpg

The bulbs are housed in a rubber boot that attaches to the switch board by sliding over two round pegs. Slide the bulbs and boots off the pegs.
DSC00821.jpg
DSC00822.jpg

Looking on the bottom of the rubber boot you'll see two wires running out the center and one going to each side where the pegs slide into the boot. With your tiny screwdriver pull the wires out of the peg holes. They will slide out easily. Pull the bulb out of the top of the boot. You can push the top of the boot down around the bulb some and they will just about pop out, if not use a paper clip or something small to poke through the center wire holes on the bottom to push the bulb up.
With the old bulb out you can look down the center of the boot and see the two holes that the wires of the new bulb needs to be fed through. Push the new bulb in making sure to feed a wire through each of these tiny holes. It takes a little fishing.
DSC00823.jpg

Now each wire gets pushed through the nearest post hole in the boot. Pull them snug.
DSC00824.jpg

Trim the excess wire, push the bulb and boot back on the switch posts, reassemble and viola! These bulbs seem a little brighter than the stock bulbs but then again the stockers are old.