How to Remove Cigarette odor from Car

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
Ok so my dad took my car to pick up his boss from work, his boss smoked one cigarette in my car and my car has never been smoked in. Only the driver side window was rolled down and i get in my car 5min later to smell the smoke. I emptied the ash tray and yelled at my dad for letting someone smoke in my car. So im at school now my windows are rolled down about 1/3. Any tips on how to get the smell out of my car i cant stand it.

Thanks
~JDMMA70

HommerSimpson

Dec 31, 2007
New Smyrna Beach Florida
Get a plastic container of cat litter... leave lid open .... it will obsorb all the smoke and anything eles...
send bill to dads boss.... tell him hes fucking rude as hell to smoke in your car....I smoke and NEVER smoke in someones car that is smoke free..

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
people smoke in my car every so often but it never lingers... then again they are good about keeping the cigerette outside of the car... the previous owner would smoke cigars in the car - it didnt smell but it left like a tar on the windows i washed off when i first bought the car

SuprAng

Garage Queen VV
Apr 4, 2005
Toronto, ON
it sucks when people smoke and don't open the window, the smell just crawls into all the fabrics. I'm sure your dad told him it was ok to smoke, rarely do people light one up without asking these days, but it's pretty inconsiderate to not even open the window.

Anyways it'll go away on it's own, febreeze will help. My buddy would take his car on road trips and it would stink when we were done with it, he had this good detail guy, he used a variety of products but you won't need to since it was only one cigarette.

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
open up a box of baking soda and pour some in the pull out ashtray, leave it open when you're not in the car, and close it when you're driving (you don't want wind blowing the shit everywhere..)

miekedmr

mkiii in hibernation
Jul 12, 2005
Upstate NY
Pull the seats and carpet and pressure wash them, then wipe everything else down while they're out. Fabrics really hold smells more than anything else.
It may be overkill to just get rid of the smell but you'll have a nice clean interior when you're done, and it's really the most thorough way.

my tacoma was under water during a flood and the whole interior was caked with weird smelling silt... I pulled everything out and pressure washed it. getting the heater/ac cores and ducting clean was the hardest part, but you can't smell it at all now. (I don't think you'd have to go that far, though.)

----
Edit: This post was way off. I thought he bought a car from a smoker or something.

Last edited:

Sil

Evil Empire
Jan 13, 2008
Milwaukee/Chicago
If it stays in the seats, use 70% iso alcohol to give it a good cleaning. Granted your car will smell like the iso for a day or two but its the way we use to get the smell of smoke out of cars. Since it was one instance I doubt it will linger for more than a week, but if it does try the above method.

miekedmr

mkiii in hibernation
Jul 12, 2005
Upstate NY
haha I guess I should read the post and not just the title...
I missed the part where he said ONE cigarette.
overkill was an understatement. heh

supraman7mgte

Shut up,bitch!!
Apr 1, 2005
Sunny California
i'm guessing that the smoker kept the cigarrette in the car the whole time? if thats the case,the smoke odors might be kept in the fabric of the top,(if its a targa) and around the seat of the passenger.
i'd use some fabric cleaner designed to eliminate odors and dump it in a bucket with like a 75-25 ratio. get a new hand sized sponge and proceed to wipe everything down.
the seats,backs and lowers,door panels,rear seats and backs,everything that is fabric that will keep the odor,and then repeat!
then your dad can get you a nice steak dinner with the fat new raise he might be getting lol

HommerSimpson

Dec 31, 2007
New Smyrna Beach Florida
IM tellin ya cat litter............no work.... and it works...
when you sell shit on ebay and it comes from a smokers home... mainly cloths... you cant spend money to dry clean to get odor out... Instead you put them in a plastic bag with a bag of cat litter thats open...Guess what... no mo odor.........................

cartel1_950

supra is gone
Jan 30, 2006
calgary
holy shit it's only one smoke haha. don't sweat it give it a few days and it'll be all good. someone lit a smoke in my car once and has never been back in the car.

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
Fuzz420;1015791 said:
ozium works wonders

How did I know you would post that, lol.
It is more temp than anything.

Try out the cat litter thing, it works well, or start smoking you wont notice the smell anymore.