How to rebuilt an engine bay from the bottom!

Supra4ever

Mar 31, 2005
Nordjylland
Hello All

I have not been posting a lot here on SM but here is some pictures of how to restore an old engine bay. The car is born as an 1987 NA and done about 200.000 miles in the Scandinavian climate, not good for the body :( I restored the body a few years ago and now it was time for the engine bay :)

Pictures of the car taken last year:

min%20supra.jpg

bilen.jpg

A picture of the engine bay just before I stated the restoration, I was so tired of the crowded bay and I wanted it to be simple and easy to work on:

motorrum4.jpg

First thing I did was to take everything out of the bay and started to clean - What a mess, 19 years of dirt and it took a few days. Some pictures of the cleaning process:

motorrum%20002s.jpg

motorrum%20006s.jpg

motorrum%20007s.jpg

Upon cleaning I fixed all the small rust spots, not too bad for such an old car:

motorrum%20015s.jpg

motorrum%20018s.jpg

After hours working with sandpaper it was time to put on the bottom coating:

motorrum%20020s.jpg

motorrum%20021s.jpg

motorrum%20023s.jpg

After light sanding it was time for colour:

motorrum%20026s.jpg

motorrum%20027s.jpg

motorrum%20028s.jpg

Finally time for clear coating - lots of it :)

motorrum%20030s.jpg

motorrum%20035s.jpg

Now the big job started to rearrange everything in the bay, as I have just bought a FFIM from Ron Ramirez (superb craftsmanship btw) I had a new IC to fit and some piping to manufacture:

motorrum%20043s.jpg

Supra4ever

Mar 31, 2005
Nordjylland
I did the cutting/fitting etc before the paint job:

FFIM%20007_s.jpg

FFIM%20009_s.jpg

FFIM%20010_s.jpg

FFIM%20010_s.jpg

motorrum%20088s.jpg

motorrum%20094s.jpg

Then it was time to work on the wiring loom, I wanted to route the wires differently so it could not be seen so much. I also wanted to clean up the loom for all the "dead" wires after the AEM EMS was fitted - That was indeed a big task - Some pictures of the process:

ledninger%20etc%20008_s.jpg

ledninger%20etc%20009_s.jpg

"Dead" wires after the clean-up :)

garbage.jpg

Then it was time to sandblast/paint/polish ALL the small fittings that were to remain in the engine bay:

motorrum%20059s.jpg

motorrum%20061s.jpg

motorrum%20068s.jpg

motorrum%20080s.jpg

motorrum%20066s.jpg

Fitting new oil filter-relocation kit:

motorrum%20081s.jpg

motorrum%20084s.jpg

Fitting new water overflow bottle:

motorrum%20110s.jpg

Supra4ever

Mar 31, 2005
Nordjylland
And then, after the final assembly job here is the result :)

motorrum%20139_s.jpg

motorrum%20140_s.jpg

motorrum%20142_s.jpg

motorrum%20143_s.jpg

motorrum%20150_s.jpg

As one can se I now have a no-nonsense engine bay with all the useless parts removed, i.e. ABS, A/C various different VSV's, Cruise Control. All the electrical stuff is now integrated in the new wiring loom and it is very easy to dismantle due to new multi connectors all over. It is very easy to keep clean due to the fact that there is lots of space down there now.

A special thanks to the crew at HorsepowerFreaks for all the support/parts and Ron Ramirez for his superb products and willingness to help out when needed.

The built- up of the engine is an entire different story but I can say it possess about all the different "go-fast" bits one can buy for a 7M. Las year I did one pull on a crappy dyno where it made 450 RWHP at 15 Psi. I have since been running up to 34 Psi on the street and it feels soo powerful - I guess the T66 is putting 600+ RWHP out at max. boost :biglaugh:

Many greetings from Denmark

Regards
Karsten Horn

Supra4ever

Mar 31, 2005
Nordjylland
Hello

Thanks for all the positive comments, it has been a long winter and I have spent many hours in the garage this year :)

Here are a few pictures of the trunk area with my meth kit and the relocated battery:

motorrum%20153s.jpg

motorrum%20158s.jpg

motorrum%20159s.jpg

The engine room is completed now and I only need to get my Do Luck Type 1 bumper painted before I hit the road. I'm looking forward to see what I have gained with the new FFIM from Ron - Next project will be to install the TH400 I have for the car as well and shooting for low 11's on the strip :)

Regards

Karsten

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
suprra_girl said:
hey ;) awesome work.... with the battery relocated using the 200amp fuse you have there... how is it on starting?

It will be fine, the starter pulls no where near 200 amps.

Man that engine bay looks good! The only thing I am not down with is the chrome lawnmower cover, but even that is not so bad. Nice work!

Supra4ever

Mar 31, 2005
Nordjylland
suprra_girl said:
hey ;) awesome work.... with the battery relocated using the 200amp fuse you have there... how is it on starting?

Hello

With the 200 Amp fuse in a 12V system it can support aprox. 2.4 kw which is much more than the starter draws. 2.5 kw is almost 4 hp and the starter motor is not that strong :)

It starts just fine, even with a small battery from my daily beater. Well, after the complete rebuilt I just started it for the first time in 4 months, 5 sec. on the key and it came to life with a perfect idle. To be honest, I was rather exited after all the work I have done to the harness :)

Regards

Karsten