how to make a 2jzge into a 2jzgte

Ca104

Jan 20, 2015
Dayton ohio
I recently came across a pretty unbeatable deal on a rolling chassis and three 2jzge engines I have a nice mk3 already and planned on doing the 2j swap but I'm not finding alot of info on convert the GE to a GTE can someone please help me out on this one

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
You mean na-t? It's hogh conpression so you have to use a thick hg or gte pistons or both. And even still the Pistons in the ge are weak.

Ca104

Jan 20, 2015
Dayton ohio
I figured I would need to swap pistons and value and I was going to do a complete rebuild, other than those things are there any other differences between the two

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
Heads are completely different so you will have to go with an aftermarket FFIM if you go that route. Pistons, head (intake ports), Ignition system, cams and I believe rods.....someone correct me if I'm wrong on this, Are all different.

Bulkierzero

Jan 14, 2012
Rosemount,MN
If its a non vvti 2jz the rods and pistons are the strength as the gte. If your in a place where E85 is readily available I would just get a ge turbo manifold and an intercooler and run it high compression. And you dont really need a ffim unless your running pretty high horsepower.

Bulkierzero

Jan 14, 2012
Rosemount,MN
GC89;2050136 said:
Heads are completely different so you will have to go with an aftermarket FFIM if you go that route. Pistons, head (intake ports), Ignition system, cams and I believe rods.....someone correct me if I'm wrong on this, Are all different.

Im pretty sure rods are the same. also the gte has oil squirters, and a different oil pump.

Ca104

Jan 20, 2015
Dayton ohio
They are all non vvti and I have a turbo block also, I had heard the heads and pistons on the non vvti were the same. I am uncertain on all of this as I am new to 2jz engine group

Bulkierzero

Jan 14, 2012
Rosemount,MN
Ca104;2050161 said:
They are all non vvti and I have a turbo block also, I had heard the heads and pistons on the non vvti were the same. I am uncertain on all of this as I am new to 2jz engine group

The gte and ge have different heads and pistons but they both will hold high hp.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
The Na pistons will not hold high hp. They are high conpression pistons and prone to detonation.

Bulkierzero

Jan 14, 2012
Rosemount,MN
hvyman;2050184 said:
The Na pistons will not hold high hp. They are high compression pistons and prone to detonation.

If your running high compression you dont need high boost to make power. running less than 10 psi can make a ge in the 400s which i consider high hp. And also if your running E85 or a stand alone ecu detonation isn't really a problem. I believe the reason for detonation being na the ecu pushes high timing, so when you boost it and at high rpms timing increases thats where the problems are. But I could be wrong so if there is anything I have screwed up in my understanding please let me know.

themadhatter

Jul 5, 2006
Vegas
Here's what i would do, pick the best non VVTI GE out of the bunch, pull the head through on a GTE head gasket to lower the compression to 9.2:1 and bolt it all back together with some arp's and call it a day. You can even run this set up on the stock 7m-gte electronics to make your life easier if you want.