how to install tach

SupraJerry

Banned
Jun 23, 2009
Kilgore
i'd like to know too.
after all, the 'expers' all say that OEM tachs are not accurate.

i guess that the sarcastic replies are from people who don't know.

empera

Authorized Vendor
Mar 30, 2005
Philly.
Flame-Flame_on.jpg

89nasupra

Sugar, Water, Purple
Apr 8, 2008
Lafayette, Louisiana, United States
SupraJerry;1554515 said:
i'd like to know too.
after all, the 'expers' all say that OEM tachs are not accurate.

i guess that the sarcastic replies are from people who don't know.

You're right, we don't know. We're all a bunch of mindless Zombies............. BRAINS.......

Seriously though, my tach reads 0 at idle and when crusing it bounces around alot. His questions was answered in the second post though.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Unless your car has slicks and a rollcage, your new tach cannot be of greater diameter than 4.3 inches.
If it is, ricer-douche factor increases at an exponential rate, in direct proportion.

:biglaugh:

86.5supraturbo

BOOST FREAK
Nov 27, 2008
Dixon, Illinois, United States
Yea my tach is broke I can't figure it out I tore wires out n replaced them so I went n bought a small tach n mounted it on the steering wheel column in front of the stock tach I know they r gay n ugly n only for civics but I need rpms

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
;)

To answer the original question I'm assuming you have an 86.5 with a GTE swap?

If so you'll need either a GTE Tach or do a resistor mod to the 86.5 NA Tach to make it play nice with the Turbo ignition.

86.5supraturbo

BOOST FREAK
Nov 27, 2008
IJ.;1554691 said:
;)

To answer the original question I'm assuming you have an 86.5 with a GTE swap?

If so you'll need either a GTE Tach or do a resistor mod to the 86.5 NA Tach to make it play nice with the Turbo ignition.

Yes it was non turbo and I did a swap. Where do I find where the stock wires go? I'd rather have stock than a gay tach to be honest with ya.

89nasupra

Sugar, Water, Purple
Apr 8, 2008
Lafayette, Louisiana, United States
If you changed the harness and ECU you will have to change the tach to a turbo tach or change some resistors on your current tach.

Caveats:
the NA tach does not work with the turbo engine->the difference is in the ignition systems (distributor vs. CPS and coil pack). In order to make the NA tach work with the turbo engine you have to change some resistances in the tach PCB itself. I figured out the rewire for the NA tach, see it here.

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?113579-Non-Turbo-to-Turbo-(NA-T)-FAQ

86.5supraturbo

BOOST FREAK
Nov 27, 2008
89nasupra;1554736 said:
If you changed the harness and ECU you will have to change the tach to a turbo tach or change some resistors on your current tach.

Caveats:
the NA tach does not work with the turbo engine->the difference is in the ignition systems (distributor vs. CPS and coil pack). In order to make the NA tach work with the turbo engine you have to change some resistances in the tach PCB itself. I figured out the rewire for the NA tach, see it here.

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?113579-Non-Turbo-to-Turbo-(NA-T)-FAQ

yea i changed the harness and the guage 3 times still dont work ive looked thru the wires dont see anything wrong and i just need rpms cuz my car is cutting out n i need to know what rpm its cutting out at