How to install my cold Air intake? ( mass air flow sensor)

satx88supra

Aug 16, 2009
San Antonio
williammckay409;1844535 said:
Sorry, but what is the AFM, and what is involved in switching to Maft-pro speed density?

Lol....mass air flow meter. If that confused you stay with the mss air flow sensor...aka AFM. Speed density requires some knowledge.

satx88supra

Aug 16, 2009
San Antonio
That's cool and i hope i wasn't be too mean on that comment. But I'm about 3yrsthe new to the Supra as well and sticking to the basics should be your goal. Then read, read some more, and read again before trying to delete or upgrade things.

satx88supra

Aug 16, 2009
San Antonio
williammckay409;1844584 said:
so basically i can just disconnect the AFM from the factory air filter/ housing and run my cold air intake through it?

AFM housing and electronics stay. You can change the filter with an adapter. The intercooling piping. But the AFM housing and its electronics stay.....unless you go speed density. You will need a separate system to control speed density.

satx88supra

Aug 16, 2009
San Antonio
I think the guy just wants to add a cold air intake he just needs to know that he has to leave that air flow meter and housing when doing it. He just have to connect the new filter before the air flow meter housing and whatever hard pipes he has after the housing.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
You don't have a mass air flow sensor. Not even close. You do have what is called the vane airflow meter, which provides a volume measurement. Taken with engine speed and the baro sensor, the computer computes the mass. And you have to use it. You can get a hot air kit (stock is cold air, aftermarket is hot air) for the factory air flow meter.