How to get out of the Sunday chores

Kckazdude

Mar 16, 2007
Memphis, TN
First off this is not how I planned to spend my only day off. I manage a NAPA auto parts store and am very short handed right now so I run the store by myself. A few weeks ago my wife calls and tells me her '94 Camry stopped running. After getting it home I determine the t-belt has slipped 3 teeth causing it to not run. At 260K I am planning on pulling the entire motor and placing all new seals throughout the motor. Trying to put this off till I can take some vacation time to complete that project, I give her my '89 Celica to drive.

Wed she calls and tells me the Celica died going down the road. So I pull it home and check it out. First I find a lose connection at battery and alternator. Tighten those and it starts. However there is a horrible noise coming from the front cover. My first suspect was the water pump has failed. Got home yesterday with all the parts to do a water pump/t-belt. Pull the covers to find lots of aluminum dust and a water pump in excellent shape. The hub on the oil pump pulley had failed!! :aigo:

So today I am pulling the oil pump to replace it and the timing belt. May replace the water pump as a matter of exercise since I am in the front cover. Thankfully my Supra is running great to get parts for everything.