How to Determine If a Engine Is a Real JDM Engine

Shytheed Dumas

For Sale
Mar 6, 2006
Louisville, KY
So I bought mine with a 'recent JDM swap', and I've got the paperwork to show it. There's an EGR. WTF? Not a real JDM or retrofitted to make it US legal? I've always wondered this.

plaaya69

87T Supra
Nov 18, 2006
Lake County, IL
The differences are

- Their is no EGR and you will have block off plates.
- No EGR cooler.
- Throttle body housing is different.
- No bsvs.(You will have two sensors instead of two and a bsvs like the us motors)
- low miles(like everyone says:naughty::biglaugh:)

+ Their might be a few other things but those are the main ones, ask me how I know, I paid $990 for a JDM Turbo motor but motor looks like new it has a BHG.

Wayne G.

87Turbo 5sp Targa
Apr 19, 2005
Gainesville,Ga.
Having only purchased one JDM engine I can only speak for that one. It was purchsed on Ebay from Sunrise Auto Parts out of Quebec. It was indeed JDM and was in VERY good condition after tearing it down for rebuild. The head gasket was completly intact no sign of leakage. Could of used it as it was however it will be built up from there. It had no EGE cooler etc. It had low wear and use and will make a great starting point. So it is possible to get a "good one". Sunrise motors is www.sunrisejapanese.com Paid $749 + ship.

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
JDM is too commonly used to label parts with no affiliation to the Japan Market.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Jeff Lange said:

Do you know what JDM means? LOL.

The point is these dumbass kids that think there are vastly different engines, and everything in Japan is better. When in fact, the North American market is the only place with a legitmate horsepower race.

1988SupraDreams

Mar 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
I did a JDM swap into mine, the 7MGTE in the US and in Japan are the EXACT SAME with the exception of smog parts. I put an EGR, EGR Cooler plate, USDM Thermostat Housing, BVSV, VSV, and a USDM Throttle Body on mine. Therefore it is now the exact same as a USDM 7MGTE. This one just has 45k miles. Hope that clears up the confusion. THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE.