How to clean a Gas tank

87MK111Supra

Jan 19, 2009
San Diego
If the tank is really rusty or something then you should just get a new one. If you are looking for a mild clean then you can use some sort of solvent to take of some grime. If you are looking for a hardcore clean then you can try muriatic acid but this stuff is toxic. Other option is take it to a shop. They'll probably fix you up for a couple hundred bucks. The easiest way to tell if there is rust in the tank is just by checking the pump. If there is rust on the pump then there is rust on the tank but if there's nothing then I wouldn't worry about it.

GASupra

Dec 23, 2011
Austell,GA
It just has some trash on the bottom of the tank. I was thinking about rinsing it out with water and some mild detergent. Just wanted to know what other people have done. Thanks for the help.

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
My local radiator shop was willing to boil mine out for $55. I had about 2 gallons thinner sitting in my garage so I dumped it in my tank along with a good amount of small rocks (landscaping rocks) and sloshed it around for a while. You could use gas too.