how to change a seal in rear axle plz help

spartacus

Sep 3, 2011
westpoint il
sup, i got a 1989 supra 7mge that has a seal out on the right rear axle and i need step by step info on how to change it.
its leaking in the middle were the axles connect to also i dont know what type of fluid to put back in ive hered for a friend to put 90w lube oil but as i said idk if its the rite kind

spartacus

Sep 3, 2011
westpoint il
no i took the axle off the diffarential on the left side there were 6 bolts holding it on and im trying to get the side gear shaft off the diffarential so i can replace the oil seal in the diffarential theres no bolt holding the side gear shaft on

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
RA_031.gif

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
Yeah, your reference RA-23 was to the pinion gear on the nose of the differential. The side gear shaft is held in by a circlip. A slide hammer gets it out. I made a very short slide hammer out of a long bolt because all the commercial slide hammers I owned were too long and tangled with the suspension and hub. It takes very little force to get those things out.

hey...it runs

Aug 15, 2011
chicago
Autozone will rent you a slide hammer for free with a deposit. They said my non-lsd differential takes sae-90 and sae-80w90 below zero but it doesn't really matter. I'm pretty sure any of the above listed will work. Mine was leaking out of the same seal. I don't think it's leaking much at all so I just kind of forgot about it. I recently did a rear wheel bearing on a suburban. It wasn't too bad. Hope this helps.

spartacus

Sep 3, 2011
westpoint il
3p141592654;1761771 said:
Yeah, your reference RA-23 was to the pinion gear on the nose of the differential. The side gear shaft is held in by a circlip. A slide hammer gets it out. I made a very short slide hammer out of a long bolt because all the commercial slide hammers I owned were too long and tangled with the suspension and hub. It takes very little force to get those things out.

my bad i was prouble typing wile i was pissed and didnt put the rite info down lol

---------- Post added at 11:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:06 AM ----------

hey...it runs;1761776 said:
Autozone will rent you a slide hammer for free with a deposit. They said my non-lsd differential takes sae-90 and sae-80w90 below zero but it doesn't really matter. I'm pretty sure any of the above listed will work. Mine was leaking out of the same seal. I don't think it's leaking much at all so I just kind of forgot about it. I recently did a rear wheel bearing on a suburban. It wasn't too bad. Hope this helps.

kk ill try again , thanx all