How rich is too rich ? (under boost) Tips for happy boosting

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
Ok so i am running rich really rich under boost and was wondering how much i can safely start turning up the boost

My Mods that have anything to do with this
60-1 CT-26 Turbo @ 14.5psi and drops to 13 by redline
Brand New Walbro 255
560cc Injectors
Lexus AFM
Titan Adjustable cam gears still set at stock timing
No piggy back to tune

So i was also curious if anyone knows a way to figure out how much one pound of boost will increase your AFR's by calculating flow of the turbo in my case the 60-1 flows 56lbs/min

So yeah how much do you guys think i can safely turn up the boost staying on the safe side of 11.5afr

The video shows a 2nd and 3rd gear pull all the way to redline in 3rd watching the AFR's
[video=youtube;BYR0rl6FCMY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYR0rl6FCMY[/video]

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
Turbo Habanero;1820028 said:
I have nothing to tune it out so do you think i should just turn the boost up alittle to lean it out?

Inch it up in 1/2 psi increments if you can - safest way - you probably have a lot of room.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
IJ.;1820029 said:
Might try a drop in base fuel pressure.

I;m unsure in how to do this also i have the stock FPR

Supracentral;1820031 said:
Inch it up in 1/2 psi increments if you can - safest way - you probably have a lot of room.

So after playing with the boost i've decided to leave it at 15psi for now AFR's go from
My boost hits 15 then drops to 13
Using NXS MBC (EBAY)

Tested in 3rd gear
11.3 at 3500RPM
11.1 at 3900RPM
10.8 at 4800RPM
10.4 at 5500RPM
10.2 and lower as my rpms climb

If i try second it's 10.0-10.8 AFR's

I also noticed a Exhaust leak between the Elbow and downpipe witch is before my WIDEBAND I thought the exhaust shop had fixed that for me but i guess not.

I got all the way to 19psi Spike dropping to 15PSI still staying around 11.5 and then going super rich when boost dropped

In the thread below you can see the car on 19psi it seems to be slower then i would think given the mods

http://www.supramania.com/forums/sh...t-should-be-Vids-inside&p=1820033#post1820033

Oct 4, 2011
PA
Get that exhaust leak fixed. that could be causing the wideband to read inaccurate. After that is fixed and if you are still having the rich issue, look into getting a AFPR and lower the base pressure down like what was prevoiusly mention. Another option would be to buy a SAFC and lean it out threw there.

oldsking

Mar 19, 2009
Chapel Hill, NC
yeah you need to drop the base pressure so go buy an aeromotive pressure reg so you can drop i to say 28 to 30psi, get a tuning tool like a SAFc and lean that bad boy out a bit. If you are going to tune you need the right tools brotha

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
87supraguy;1821261 said:
Jordan your gonna Kill it!!! J/k...

sounds like your getting an SAFC again till you get the Maftpro

I'm having night mares with this car right now it's running so much slower then it should be and i have no idea why :(

On 16psi i'm gripping in second gear with a 60-1 lol

Turbobox

Aug 17, 2011
New Jersey
You need to add some adjustability to your setup with an adjustable fuel pressure regulator or a fuel controller like the SAFC, seal up your exhaust leaks, and especially any leaks in the air intake system after the MAF. I think there may be some major leakage happening if your turbo is dropping off boost pressure. Also the factory fuel pressure may be too much for your combo and may need to be reduced. AZ heat will cause your car to run richer as well because of the lower air density.

The first step of course is to seal your leaks and retest.
If your still rich I'd reduced the fuel flow by reducing injector pulse with SAFC or by reducing fuel pressure with AFPR.

KTM530

Supramania Contributor
Jan 24, 2011
santa rosa
there was just a plug on the side that faces down on the one i took off my supra last week, drill it out and you can get to the screw.