how rare?

speedy_reedy

got boost?
Sep 10, 2011
vancouver bc canada
hey just wondring how rare my car is ive never seen one before other than mine. its a 91 supra 2.5 twin turbo r rhd imported from japan. how rare is it and how do i tell its real?

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
It's fairly rare. Not "big money" rare, but rare anyway.

No idea how to tell if it's original, but google the specs/features for that car and see if it all matches up.

Stanzaspeed

2.5 Twin Turbo R
Staff member
Mar 30, 2005
Calgary, AB
speedy_reedy;1761772 said:
hey just wondring how rare my car is ive never seen one before other than mine. its a 91 supra 2.5 twin turbo r rhd imported from japan. how rare is it and how do i tell its real?

There are quite a few Japanese imported supras in Canada, I own one myself.

To answer your questions:

First it depends on your definition of rare. The MK III Supra is not an incredibly common sight on the roads nowadays to begin with. I could only begin to speculate as to what the ratio of imported to Canadian cars is. However, domestically sold cars are still more common. Compared to total production of Supras, the 2.5 Twin Turbo Limited is rarer, even rarer still is the Turbo-A of which only 500 were built.

As far as a "genuine" twin turbo R, pictures of your car may help. Depending on what was done to the car prior to you purchasing it, you should have at least some of the following:

Recaro front seats with matching rear seats and door panel inserts.
No gauge cluster dimmer.
4.10 Torsen rear differential.
Momo Steering wheel and shift knob.
Bilstein suspension.
No sunroof.

There may be other things which I am forgetting at this time.

speedy_reedy

got boost?
Sep 10, 2011
vancouver bc canada
Stanzaspeed;1761802 said:
There are quite a few Japanese imported supras in Canada, I own one myself.

To answer your questions:

First it depends on your definition of rare. The MK III Supra is not an incredibly common sight on the roads nowadays to begin with. I could only begin to speculate as to what the ratio of imported to Canadian cars is. However, domestically sold cars are still more common. Compared to total production of Supras, the 2.5 Twin Turbo Limited is rarer, even rarer still is the Turbo-A of which only 500 were built.

As far as a "genuine" twin turbo R, pictures of your car may help. Depending on what was done to the car prior to you purchasing it, you should have at least some of the following:

Recaro front seats with matching rear seats and door panel inserts.
No gauge cluster dimmer.
4.10 Torsen rear differential.
Momo Steering wheel and shift knob.
Bilstein suspension.
No sunroof.

There may be other things which I am forgetting at this time.

sounds like its legit to me its got recaros, no sunroof, momo wheel, no dimmer, doesnt have a knob and havent looked at the diff yet.. is the diff limeted slip? and do u know how many where made?

Last edited:

Stanzaspeed

2.5 Twin Turbo R
Staff member
Mar 30, 2005
Calgary, AB
speedy_reedy;1761843 said:
sounds like its legit to me its got recaros, no sunroof, momo wheel, no dimmer, doesnt have a knob and havent looked at the diff yet.. is the diff limeted slip? and do u know how many where made?

If it is still the factory differential, then yes. It would be a T-1 Torsen LSD.

I am not sure about actual production numbers, you could try using Supramania's search feature to see if anyone has reaserched and posted them before.

87M-GTE said:
What does your engine bay tag say? Im sure there is some way of translating that..

Pics of the car?

Edited: I was incorrect, it will have an engine bay tag.

Last edited:

87M-GTE

Slow
Sep 12, 2007
Milwaukee WI
I have this book....
9781904788133.jpg

I remember it had production numbers. I will check and report back.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
speedy_reedy;1761772 said:

Not rare at all in Japan really. As far as Canada goes, there are quite a few of them here. Not as many as there are LHD models, but still, quite a few for JZA70's anyways. I know of at least 5 in Calgary alone, so take that for what it's worth. Still not very common, but rare is relative.

Stanzaspeed;1761881 said:
It will not have a VIN tag or engine bay tag, as it is a Japanese car. It will only have a chassis number stamped into the firewall, for example "JZA70 xxxxxxx" with the x's being numbers.

It will have an aluminum data tag, as well as the frame number stamped into the firewall. This was used on 86-88 North American cars, and all Supras in Japan.

That data tag will have your axle code on it, (G299 for example), which will tell you have diff the car came with. Probably a 4.10:1 Torsen T1.

In any case, it sounds like you do have a real TT-R, I'm not sure how many fake ones are out there, probably not many. Most of them are probably real.

Jeff

Miiike

May 2, 2010
Brampton
I had a '92 Twin Turbo R, this is the tag thing on mine, for an R the top model thing should be JZA70-BLMQZ
p1762024_1.jpg