how much will this cost me??

SBM713

Apr 24, 2007
Georgia
Okay everyone, I have 2 supra's 1 is an 86.5 na 5 speed with a BHG it has a flawless body minus the bumper, and #2 is a pretty rusty and in bad shape 87 turbo. The 87 has bad valve seals but I'm thinking of using the 86.5 head on it just changing out the cam, I was wondering if I could use the stock headbolts. My other question is I know its gonna be a pain in my arse but exactly what do i need to bring over from the turbo to the na body, and how much is it gonna cost. I dont plan on a MHG cause quite frankly im broke and cant afford it [we had a baby 6 weeks ago nad Im 17]. I really want to build it but I need something to drive asap because Im about to trade my camaro for a honda accord for the old lady because her mustang gt vert cant fit a car seat. Anyway what else I need to replace in the process and how long will it take on average busting balls to do it? Im not even sure how much a stock HG costs but im aware a lot of hoses and such will need to be replaced If yall have any input please let me know thanks

**edit** Im swapping motor from the 87 to the 86.5

Davismj711

PA Mountain Supra
If I were you, and 17 again, I would simply fix the BHG on the NA for now. It doesn't sound like you would have the $$ or the time right now to do the 7MGE to 7MGTE swap. With any project you will run into known and unknown costs, if you need wheels pronto fix the BHG.
Keep the turbo around, cover it up and when time and money permit do the swap right. Just my 2 cents ^^

Good Luck to you and your family ^^

SBM713

Apr 24, 2007
Georgia
thanks man but the NA has a bhg and hydro locked so im pretty sure it toast so im figuring that in with it I know its gonna take alot of work but as is high to own a 350 camaro and cant comfortably fit a car seat. I talked to my dad he said he would help If i needed him to I was figuring if i stripped the turbo car and transfered it all to the na after hoses and headgasket should be about 500 bucks [probably wrong]. I really dont have the time but Im gonna have to find a way to make it to get through this crap

HommerSimpson

Dec 31, 2007
New Smyrna Beach Florida
If you are the one doing all the work... very first thing i would do is go pull both heads...then come back and tell us what you find...Pictures to... and you will need a strait edge...and no a level wont work... well it will but something THIN is needed and dead ass strait....
Basicly all the stuff you see underhood... the wiring harness and then it goes in threw the firewall and the ecu its pluged in... all that crap has to be switched.. its not really such a pain just lota things to remmber... so tape and write on everything you take off... and take shit loads of pictures...
you can use the na head i think the way it is... leave the na cams in to... they are better then turbo cams ... so they say....
now gaskets.... they go from 40 bucks on ebay for a full set... to like 160 you will need to look... best bet tho is atleast get new head bolts and a toyota head gasket... not sure how much... but you can get a used set of arps for around 60 so you might as well atleast get them...
but anyway go pull head off the NA first .... see how bad it is...go from there...

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
hommer - na cams arent "better" than turbo cams... they SHIFT the powerband up, where the turbo is most efficent.

and i would never re-use OEM head bolts... espeically if there original... just get oem or arp.

HommerSimpson

Dec 31, 2007
New Smyrna Beach Florida
Rennat;1014679 said:
hommer - na cams arent "better" than turbo cams... they SHIFT the powerband up, where the turbo is most efficent.

and i would never re-use OEM head bolts... espeically if there original... just get oem or arp.

well wouldn't that make them better ?

SBM713

Apr 24, 2007
Georgia
i was thinking of pulling both motors first but that acually makes sense homer but yea i think i will go see if i can pl the head off the NA tomorrow but im gonna have to change the motors anyway and i knew the harness part and the ecu but i was meaning electrical stuff under the hood. But im figuring i need to change blocks anyway seeing how that probably warped a rod. oh and how big of a pain in the arse is it gona be to time this bastard?

and yea the headbolts are original to both cars im guessing but Im looking at time here and i can just run to the toyota dealership and get new ones the closest one is in gainesville and when they see a supra they like to charge [dad spent 3200 on the red and black one in my avatar and sig]

HommerSimpson

Dec 31, 2007
New Smyrna Beach Florida
SBM713;1014685 said:
i was thinking of pulling both motors first but that acually makes sense homer but yea i think i will go see if i can pl the head off the NA tomorrow but im gonna have to change the motors anyway and i knew the harness part and the ecu but i was meaning electrical stuff under the hood. But im figuring i need to change blocks anyway seeing how that probably warped a rod. oh and how big of a pain in the arse is it gona be to time this bastard?

timming these are simple worry about that little down road... like when you putting motor together... and belt on... you got long way to go.. but if you work fast... and all goes well.. NEXT sunday ? id say 2 real good weekends time wise.....and what tools you have.. got air ? air tools ? cherry picker ?hoist ?

rs4rush

Jan 25, 2007
Kirkland, Wa
HommerSimpson;1014683 said:
well wouldn't that make them better ?

Depends on what kind of setup your wanting to run. They are not worse or better. It would be like me saying my Gt4088 is better because it makes more power than yours does... But if you dont want that kind of power mine has no use to you... Kinda ketch what I'm trying to say? Its personal preference.

~Cory

SBM713

Apr 24, 2007
Georgia
no im waiting for dad to get in he drives a truck we are gonna go get a buddies cherry picker and do it but which cam gives the best mileage i want it to be as efficent as it can be and as reliable as it can be too i know its a supra but its just gonna need to last maybe a year or 2 then i should have a decent job and be able to aford bigger turbo's and SAFC and bigger injectors and a MHG this just needs to work for a while till i get up on my feet and the baby outa diapers and formula cause that costs alot

HommerSimpson

Dec 31, 2007
New Smyrna Beach Florida
SBM713;1014714 said:
no im waiting for dad to get in he drives a truck we are gonna go get a buddies cherry picker and do it but which cam gives the best mileage i want it to be as efficent as it can be and as reliable as it can be too i know its a supra but its just gonna need to last maybe a year or 2 then i should have a decent job and be able to aford bigger turbo's and SAFC and bigger injectors and a MHG this just needs to work for a while till i get up on my feet and the baby outa diapers and formula cause that costs alot

ooooooo you got alot to learn... and i dont even have kids...they will cost you for the next 18 years... and then some lol

Can ya get us some pics ? kid and cars ? kid in car ?:}

SBM713

Apr 24, 2007
Georgia
lol and hopefully when she is eating real food and potty trained then she will cost a little les till shes about 6-ish but I doubt that very seriously haha you know she is a baby gir and girls have to have all sorts of stuff haha

charlesshen

Jun 5, 2007
orlando
man id like to see some more picks of that red and black
if you dont got money to go turbo and your gonna change out the block id just go 2jna then down the road go na/t
or just redo the head on the turbo block