"How much supra can you put into a truck?" build

suprahilux

ULTRA Lurker
Jun 12, 2007
conroe, texas
This is not your typical engine-swap supratruck build. It is a much more intimate union between a supra and a truck. Therefore I dubbed it Suck. Try to spot everything from a supra.

Here is my 2010(?) Toyota Suck

sneak peek: if you just found this thread, this is from page 12, read entire first post for more background.
attachment.php

Project started in 2007, on hold for 2 yrs now picked back up in Nov 2009. It was exciting to see the truck stand on it's own feet again, even if they are from a supra. It got really exciting when the truck started to look like a truck again.

Overview:
89 Toyota Hilux pickup 4cyl. Was bagged after I purchased it in 2003, drove it like that until 2007 doing mods here and there, including the mustang tail lights, 4 to 5-speed swap, FI swap, more. I got into supras when I built the motor for my brother's car. It started a dream to swap a 7m into my truck. It later sparked a desire to get all of the performance aspects of a supra into my truck. So that includes suspension, steering, braking, lsd diff, engine, trans, electronics, even the steering column. I chose to opt out of the weight of the supra. Hopefully under 3000lbs, maybe 2800lbs. the truck is 10 inches longer wheelbase, supra is 3 inches wider wheelbase. The Suck will have 3 inch wider wheelbase than a pickup. I also had to stretch the nose of the truck to fit the subframe and add room for engine. I know it can be done without that, but I don't want to have millimeters between the engine and rad. The engine bay is now 2-3 inches longer than the supra. I plan to have about 400hp at the wheels, that's 4 times the original power. Should be fun. Now follow along as I build this amazing machine.

Most of the pics will be in my album if you wish to see more detail. Here are some to get you started:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Attachments

• Photo0058.jpg
    Photo0058.jpg
    258.5 KB · Views: 162
  • Photo0061.jpg
    Photo0061.jpg
    274.9 KB · Views: 238
  • Photo0079.jpg
    Photo0079.jpg
    216.6 KB · Views: 182
  • Photo0089.jpg
    Photo0089.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 213
  • Photo0117.jpg
    Photo0117.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:

bfr1992t

The quiet one
Oct 29, 2005
Ohio
I like it, but I would have looked in to shorter rear shocks and moving/changing the mounting points. I'd be you could come close to the original bed height.

suprahilux

ULTRA Lurker
Jun 12, 2007
conroe, texas
shaeff;1467875 said:
Oh, and it's closer to Slacker's build than anything: http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27957

I never even saw that. His truck will look much more professional than mine. He's got me on the full custom frame. Can't say I like the modded firewall though. Another similarity is... free time. I only get to work on mine on the weekends. Luckily my wife is all-in on this project. If only our budget was all-in.

suprahilux

ULTRA Lurker
Jun 12, 2007
conroe, texas
bfr1992t;1467904 said:
I like it, but I would have looked in to shorter rear shocks and moving/changing the mounting points. I'd be you could come close to the original bed height.

Yeah, the tall strut towers were not ideal, but funds and 'stuff I already had' came into play there. Besides I can buy the supra lowering springs to change ride height and struts to replace worn struts. The raised floor be was from the old bagged setup and shaved tailgate. I do miss the tailgate.

picture.php

Kckazdude

Mar 16, 2007
Memphis, TN
Freind of mine done this swap to a 92 Toyota PU. The only problem he had was a complete lack of traction in the rear. He also did the same bed 'mod' with the rear Supra suspension. He used the gap in between as a location to mount the fuel cell. Intercooler was also moved under the truck and fan cooled for space limitations.
Good luck with this build. Looks to be on a very solid start.