How much HP will i gain with cams?

jsr86

Sep 22, 2008
Phoenix
i was just curious as to around how much hp i will gain with the stock turbos (read signature) . i am looking at getting Crower 272 or 280's. i also have a AEM FIC as well. also will i need bigger injectors? thanks

Bigzavs

86.5 1JZ Single Turbo
Apr 21, 2005
Arlington, TX
if you're on stock twins, the only cams that will really benefit you would be to upgrade to 2J cams, or go with 264's

272's are designed to breathe up high like tissimo said, way after the stock ct12's are any good till. and 280s are just overkill, those are for the big power motors, theres alot of headwork involved just to be able to bolt them into the head. let alone run them

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
IJ.;1514359 said:
Mid range "should" be much stronger though so it will feel faster on the street just not on the dyno.

I dont think the mid range power makes it feel that much faster really, its the top end. Being able to rev past 6500 with some amount of power is what made the 1j feel like a real engine rather then a waste. But this was with a decent sized turbo on my old car years ago.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
I did say "on the street".....

How often in daily driving do you run an engine to redline and max boost?

Midrange punch is what you feel on the street and any improvement will make the car "feel" faster.

People get far too caught up in hige dyno numbers when the reality is 95% of them can't put down 500rwhp on non R street tires on the street.

Sticky rubber on a track is a whole different ballgame.

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
IJ.;1514395 said:
I did say "on the street".....

How often in daily driving do you run an engine to redline and max boost?

Midrange punch is what you feel on the street and any improvement will make the car "feel" faster.

People get far too caught up in hige dyno numbers when the reality is 95% of them can't put down 500rwhp on non R street tires on the street.

Sticky rubber on a track is a whole different ballgame.
On the street the car will feel like ass then, yea 5-6k might be a bit stronger but sub 4k (where you street drive) will feel like ass.

If I'm going for boost, I'm not going to tease my self with a small hit. I'm going full kill off the limiter. But that may just be me.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Bro-You-are-My-Hero.gif

Open up the Lobe centres and you don't lose as much bottom end as you're making out and still get good midrange punch, my 280's idled like a kitten and drove very well.

c2m

Jul 4, 2005
SoCal
if you're running stock 330cc injectors, then yes you will need injectors... i had some HKS 272 cams and did loose some bottom end, but with adjustable cam gears, as Ij said, and some dyno time was able to boost my midrange power, on a similar setup to yours, by about 40-50 hp...
the engine pulled thru redline and past

but it has been a while... i think we topped out around 379 rwhp... but i would of liked more control over the timing and fuel curves than using a simple fuel piggyback as i did back then...

shonuff53

SC300 FTW
Oct 31, 2007
TX
well... I just dyno'd my car after some 264's on a 1jz-67mm setup and did 471 with not much tunning and that was a 4th gear pull, I dynoed my last engine (stock 1j 67mm @20psi) and on a 3rd gear pull I did 431. so at least 40hp... btw my power curve and tq curve peaks at 6600rpm so bigger cams would probably make full power beyond that and like I said mines a 67mm and it was at 19psi so one less than the first dyno.. hope this helps