How much boost will a ct-26 take??

Hey i was just curious on how much boost i can run on a stock ct-26 with a metal head gasket?? Im running 10psi now and was afraid to push it anymore than that,:evil2: especially since im getting ready to sell the car. The car also has a fuel cut defenser and from the looks of if the computer has been tuned..The car had a master power t-4 turbo on it when i purshased it but had a blown hg. can anyone help me???

7M-GTE

ROCK$T@R
Apr 2, 2005
KC
if I remember correctly it's like 14psi-16psi efectively and then I think I've heard of some people hitting 18psi (which I think that would damage the turbo)

xarewhyayen

276 whp - 324 tq @ 13psi
Oct 3, 2005
Philly
Refer to: Search tool. This topic has been discussed more times than there are predicted answers. The fact is that toyota never released a compressor map. The ct26 boost potential isnt limited so much by a certain boost number. At some point you will just be blowing hot air and it would be pointless to not upgrade to get more. But, given proper cooling and careful tuning, you could squeeze a good bit outta the ct. Don't doubt the turbo just because its stock.

7M-GTE

ROCK$T@R
Apr 2, 2005
KC
xarewhyayen said:
Refer to: Search tool. This topic has been discussed more times than there are predicted answers. The fact is that toyota never released a compressor map. The ct26 boost potential isnt limited so much by a certain boost number. At some point you will just be blowing hot air and it would be pointless to not upgrade to get more. But, given proper cooling and careful tuning, you could squeeze a good bit outta the ct. Don't doubt the turbo just because its stock.

you can't squeeze much more than 16-18 with any real, or even worthwhile gains...

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
i ran 18 psi on my old stock turbo back when i had 550s and a lex w/o ill effects for about 6 months. after that it started to have a puff every now and then after letting off boost (oil past turbo seals). i shortly there after sold it to another board member and he had it on his car for about a year w/o issue.

that said id say anything over 15 or so psi is probibly pushing these turbos pretty hard. mine had 86k+ miles on it so that was probibly a contributing factor.

Boost Lee

Bee Doo Bee Doo Bee Doo
Staff member
Sep 13, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
ANOTHER controversial topic that really should have just been searched.

But since I'm in an arguing mood - There really is not an actual given NUMBER for how much boost a stock CT26 can handle. Yes, it's very true that after so much boost (typically after 15psi), it will just blow hot air, making it very ineffective...in other words, POINTLESS. But other than that, it's all about how good of shape the turbo is in. There are a few members known of that ran over 20psi on a stock CT either for "testing" reasons or simply trying to blow it to upgrade. Either way, it's just a matter of how good of shape it's in.
For all we know, a BRAND NEW CT26 from the dealership could handle 30psi...Doubtful, but I don't want anyone commenting on that unless you've done it (hearsay is very irritating).

Conclusion? As long as it's in somewhat healthy condition, upping your boost 2-3psi will definately make a difference in power output...and for the better. Anything too much more above that will just be waste of time and a turbo.

Jeff

Disced

Pie + NYQuil = FTW
Apr 5, 2005
Edmonds, Wa
Ok.. So I have posted MANY times about this.. But it always seems to come up.

At the track one night; I was running 16 lbs on the CT-26 and ran continious 15.1's with a 2.1 60 ft. Now, I had dynoed the day before @ the same boost @ 279 HP, 337 TQ with less than 10:1 a/f ratios after 4100 RPM's.

So, I turned up the boost because I was sick of runnign such shitty times. Boost went to 19 lbs through all 4 gears and held hard; I ran a 14.1 with a 1.9 60 ft on street tires.

I then wished I could go and re-dyno the car; since I'm sure the higher boost made the a/f ratio's balanced out a little more and the car felt like it had pulled much harder.

Shortly after though, my turbo took a shit on me. I'm sure it's not too good for the turbo; but there has yet to be someone to prove the max efficiency limits of the CT-26 on a dyno w/ supporting mods.

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
As stated above in the last few posts, it pretty much depends on how good of condition the turbo's in, plus the mods that are currently installed on the car. You could, theoretically saying, run 13 psi on a stock engine (not recomended) and be pretty damn close to reaching the efficiency of the turbo at that point in time. Now, if you had a 3+ inch exhaust, full hard pipes (hopefully running through the snorkel hole to squeeze some extra HP out) bigger, more efficient IC, and intake, you could probably up the boost a few psi's and still be operating in the turbos efficiency range AT THAT LEVEL OF MODIFICATION.... This though, is assuming the engine is running properly to handle the extra HP ;).

dav_dman

old guy
Oct 23, 2005
louisville KY/so.IN metro area
starscream5000 said:
As stated above in the last few posts, it pretty much depends on how good of condition the turbo's in, plus the mods that are currently installed on the car. You could, theoretically saying, run 13 psi on a stock engine (not recomended) and be pretty damn close to reaching the efficiency of the turbo at that point in time. Now, if you had a 3+ inch exhaust, full hard pipes (hopefully running through the snorkel hole to squeeze some extra HP out) bigger, more efficient IC, and intake, you could probably up the boost a few psi's and still be operating in the turbos efficiency range AT THAT LEVEL OF MODIFICATION.... This though, is assuming the engine is running properly to handle the extra HP ;).

yeah, don't run over 9.5psi with stock exhaust, imo. It's workin' too hard.

with mods, I'm betting over 15 and you're spooling over 150,000 rpms and doing 10x the wear on it. I agree 13 has gotta be close, but not seeing the map, i don't know for sure. Personally i wouldn't go over 9.5 without safc and wideband tuning unless you drop 550's in it and a lex or maft. Even then, tuning is req'd for max hp, of course.

suprarich

Nov 9, 2005
ohio
If we.did not repost, then someday we will run out of things to talk about.

I run my ct at 18 to 20 psi. the diffrence between 13 and 18 on my car was about 35 hp. I dynoed 322 at 13 psi and 359 at 18-20 psi.

7MGTEsup

Formerly 'Down but not out'
Jun 14, 2005
England
suprarich said:
If we.did not repost, then someday we will run out of things to talk about.

I run my ct at 18 to 20 psi. the diffrence between 13 and 18 on my car was about 35 hp. I dynoed 322 at 13 psi and 359 at 18-20 psi.

What other mods did you have at the time??