How many years of operation can a mk3 Supra last ?

SupraClaou

Supramania Contributor
Sep 1, 2006
Athens,Greece
I was wondering back in the days..mid 80's when they were designing our beloved A70 3rd generation Supra,
if they (Toyota mechanics,engineers,designers,etc) have ever thought about how long their creation can last
running the streets and highways...

I mean not to 'retire' the car because of an accident or an engine failure or anything of that nature, but as a
presence of technology and aesthetic appearance that will lead the people or the owners to believe in the
'death' of the car.

I did this write up cause the guys from Toyota gave me a small glimpse of feeling that they gave the car a
max operational time of 20 years ! Yesterday I checked my super monitor / trip computer and wanted to set
all it's parameters. Never had the time to do it LOL.
Went on the 'calendar' menu and tried to input the year,and I got a surprise :aigo:
2006 is the last year...goes from 86' till 06', which means 20 years. I was like WTF?

Guess what Toyota? The 3rd gen Supra had a re-birth by itself after 20 years..
This world will have to deal with the mk3 Supra for a long time,maybe another 20 years ? :icon_bigg
No one knows...:nono:

Your thoughts please!

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
So you think a 6 digit (999,999 miles) odometer and 20 years is not as good as GM and Ford who sold cars with 5 digit odometers for decades and decades? Just trying to figure out the point....

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
I know people with cars older than ANYONE on this forum that they use on a nearly daily basis. A car's life expectancy is only limited by its owner. :D

Heck, I have a car older than most people on this forum, if not older than anyone. Doesn't run yet, but that is only because I want to finish the Supra before diving into another project.

SupraClaou

Supramania Contributor
Sep 1, 2006
Athens,Greece
My mk3 after 19 years of life, got a 2JZ with big single turbo and boosting higher than ever...
I think we got a timeless piece of art!

# Fair condition, manual trans, targa, turbo mk3 Supra prices went up here in Europe (around 10K).

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
I know of a Supra that's been daily driven for over a quarter century. Just the usual stuff for maintenance too. Like most 80's Toyotas these cars are well built. The greatest danger to them continues to be incompetent owners.

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
jetjock;1852500 said:
I know of a Supra that's been daily driven for over a quarter century. Just the usual stuff for maintenance too. Like most 80's Toyotas these cars are well built. The greatest danger to them continues to be incompetent owners.

x2

Micky mouse fixes, to a point not keeping stuff clean, and not to menction distasteful, and unnecessary sidegrades, and downgrades.

mjsn1

Oct 18, 2009
Qatif
It all depends on the owner. I dont think they will ever go away, maybe when the oil runs out, but if it did we all can upgrade it to an electric motor :).

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Mine was getting to the end of its useby date before the accident that killed it, A LOT will depend on the use and power levels it's been run at.

Stock and well maintained almost indefinite, mine had been driven hard on many a twisty road and the shell was showing signs of fatigue (doors, hatch and Targa no longer aligned properly) Stress cracks and failures wouldn't have been far behind.

(JJ is older, fuck yall bastards :p ) <jk>

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
I got 500,000 kms out of my 7M-GE, and pulled it because I wanted to upgrade. (The blown coolant hose behind the water pump was the excuse to get the budget past my wife.)