How many run without EGR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
Godspeed;1134771 said:
ok i just got home from a little crusin and my car started getting hot after about 30 min. so i pulled over and let it cool down then i shut it off hung out for about 30 more min. and started to leave but when i tried to start the car it would start sputter and shut off????? wtf now so i checked to see if any of my ic pipes had come loose but they had not soooo i tried to start it again same result... finally i started it and gave it a little gas and i drove away and it seemed to stay running ok... im lost on this one... still no smoking, good oil psi, solid power until the big 5psi lol and it gets so hot that you cant even touch the rad support hardly any ideas?????

do a compression test and look for a drop between two adjacent cylinders.

then id start with your basic maintenance routine and make sure the cooling system hasn't been overlooked on ANY aspect. need more info and possibly your own thread.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
JJ - Gotcha...the pressure differential is primarly between E and exhaust until R is uncovered. Makes sense...it's only when exhaust pressure is low the EGR shuts off when E only is active. I don't dig into the NA stuff that often...good to know ;)

Godspeed - I agree, probably OT in this thread.

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
I don't have mine connected, during the race season, (to keep intake temps down). I also have to add fuel to compensate for the extra O2, so combustion temps don't get too high.
During the off season, I put it all back on and take out the added fuel. It's a pain, but I like the results. Lots of reliable power for the track.
It's also my DD. Van

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
jetjock;1134742 said:
The GE uses two stage ported vacuum to control the EGR valve (via the modulator) while the GTE does not. Basically that means during the first stage on a GE when only the first TB port is active the amount of EGR delivered is related to the amount of exhaust back pressure. At higher throttle openings (when the second port is uncovered) EGR will be delivered even if exhaust pressure is low. On the GTE's single ported system the amount of vacuum the modulator sends to the valve is always dependent on exhaust pressure since thanks to the turbo there's no shortage of it...

ok, so even though i'm putting a turbo on a na, i should deffinetly switch to a gte egr with of course a gte tb

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
yes sorry, i mean the modulator, wich is the plastic diaphram that the intake manifold is connected too, and the vsv is what the harness plugs into and the vacum lines right.

Sar-Supra

Powertrippin´
Aug 28, 2006
Currently in NY
Godspeed;1134771 said:
ok i just got home from a little crusin and my car started getting hot after about 30 min. so i pulled over and let it cool down then i shut it off hung out for about 30 more min. and started to leave but when i tried to start the car it would start sputter and shut off????? wtf now so i checked to see if any of my ic pipes had come loose but they had not soooo i tried to start it again same result... finally i started it and gave it a little gas and i drove away and it seemed to stay running ok... im lost on this one... still no smoking, good oil psi, solid power until the big 5psi lol and it gets so hot that you cant even touch the rad support hardly any ideas?????

::bhg::

Sar-Supra

Powertrippin´
Aug 28, 2006
Currently in NY
I´ve removed the EGR and as of today I have had no issues w/o that ugly U.F.O....

Nevertheless, a sticky would be a great idea. I did some searching but couldn´t find clear pros and cons.

Supra87T

2-Tone BLUE
Feb 23, 2006
Cincinnati, OH
Last edited:

Sar-Supra

Powertrippin´
Aug 28, 2006
Currently in NY
Intersting numbers JDUB´s got there. It seems as if I am going to re-install the EGR again.

However, it would still be nice if there was a way to relocate the EGR if I am planning on installing a FFIM.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
You can't easily relocate the EGR from the rear port on the head, but you can route it for an FFIM without too much trouble. Here's how I did it:

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Most of those replies are the typical logical fallacy..."it didn't happen to me, so that means it won't happen". Believe what you want ;)

The heat at the back of the head is not the issue. The turbo and DP create far more radiant heat than the EGR cooler ecer could. Plus the water jacket is right under the EGR cooler ;)

I do have a question on UK cars...did the ones Toyota sold in the UK come standard with the EGR?

frontierguy25

Mar 26, 2007
TX
Ok, I might get bashed for this or if someone wants to shed some light for me that would be great!!

I have a rebuilt motor with JE's and a HKS hg. I have 660 injectors so my car runs rich a lot. At Idle my car sits at an A/F of 14.0 then richens to 13.5 at 2000 rpm until boost. I haven't had any issues in the 3 years with my car yet. I also have the Koyo race radiator and a 160 degree thermostat aswell to keep temps down. I have been to the track 10+ times like this plus have put over 20k miles like this and have good compression numbers so far. Could this be because I have my car set up for the track so I run a little richer down low that this has not effected me? I have an EGR that I can put on, however I have sent money as a DP on a AEM AMS. My car always runs really cool even driving it over 300 miles in one day with many 100+mph pulls. I can't ever get this thing to run hot even making back to back runs at the track not letting the car cool down. Should I put it back on, I don't mind running a little richer. This car is my daily driver for now, until my ins settles on my truck then I'll be getting a new one and this is going to only be my weekend car again.

Thanks

john93t

Oct 19, 2007
Norwich
If you guy's want/need EGR's why not ask on www.mkiiisupra.net (uk supra site)..i think i might have a couple laying around,

we removed them because ....(a) we don't need them, and it's an ugly critter to have under the hood..(b) because the passage for the exhaust gas from number 6 cylinder run's around the back of the head to the egr unit (this is direct heat to the rear of the head, not radiant heat)..and there were alot of bhg on number 6 cylinder..

i think one of you guy's asked if uk supras had egr's fitted as "standard"?..yes they were, toyota also supplied our supra's with the head torqued to 55ft/lb as "standard"...this was no good either:biglaugh:

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
john93t;1136520 said:
If you guy's want/need EGR's why not ask on www.mkiiisupra.net (uk supra site)..i think i might have a couple laying around,

we removed them because ....(a) we don't need them, and it's an ugly critter to have under the hood..(b) because the passage for the exhaust gas from number 6 cylinder run's around the back of the head to the egr unit (this is direct heat to the rear of the head, not radiant heat)..and there were alot of bhg on number 6 cylinder..

i think one of you guy's asked if uk supras had egr's fitted as "standard"?..yes they were, toyota also supplied our supra's with the head torqued to 55ft/lb as "standard"...this was no good either:biglaugh:

I knew these spit polished, curb stomping boots would finally get thier break-in!!!!

[Spit polished curb stomping boot]

so #6 is direct heat but somehow #1, #2, #3, #4, #5 are not? How does the exhaust manifold attach to the aluminum head again? Via pixie dust?

So #6 has more heat than the rest because.......?

Let me take one guess. Never taken apart the EGR cooler plate have you? Of course not otherwise that insipid and ignorant comment would not have been thought by you much less typed. btw and for your information, the exhaust valves, combustion chamber and exhaust ports are already seeing 650+ degrees celcius and you are "telling" me that the EGR system somehow (might be the magic pixie dust holding the exhaust manifold to the aluminum head), takes it over the edge and causes bhg. Are you seriously that silly?

The ignorance is outstanding!

The 55 lbs/ft is quite fine. Now if you decided to do something toyota never intended like I don't know, increase the fucking boost. Then that is not OEM spec now is it.

Odd how I am always the exception to just about eveery single idiotic "normal" here. BTW 156k miles on OEM torqued headbolts AND HG before I took those off, installed a MHG and and ARP studs and installed a TD06. Never once a problem or BHG until 225k when the bearings spun on a low oil condition.

Figgie is the exception once again!.

[/Spit polished curb stomping boot]

Status
Not open for further replies.