How many quarts of oil?

cwapface

Supernerd
Mar 30, 2005
Eugene, OR
www.dylanwiggins.com
As long as we're rebuilding....

I just changed my oil last weekend, I did 5 quarts of 20w-50 with a filter. I seem to remember something about people running 6 quarts just fine, is this advisable or should I stick with factory specs?

aye mate

Hiatus over.
Mar 30, 2005
Maryland
i put 6 quarts in and im just fine. I read the stock pan will hold 10 quarts without overflowing. (off the car)

jester1341

topless and blown
Mar 30, 2005
Western Maryland
i agree as long as your not leaking 5-5.5 is plenty.........now of course i'm a leaker......soooooooo

but yes IMO stick to the 5-6 range........ten might fit but with the cracks displacment and many other factors....getting too much more than 6 i think is just a bad idea with nothing to gain.

john

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
It was me that posted 10 fits but I NEVER meant for anyone to run this amount!

My case is different with 3 being in the accumulator and another 2 in the Cooler/Filter and lines leaving the stock 5 in the pan.

I filled/measured the pan to make sure on cold starts I wouldn't be dipping the crank into the oil.

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
holy crap but does it seam like every day people seam to run oil thats like gear oil viscosity shit 20w50 im realy reluctant on 15w40 i had a debate with my dad on wether that was even safe and i won so 15w40 goes in but shit how thick do you guys use???? at idle do you have your oil at like 40psi going and 100 at highway??

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
your running that on a fresh rebuild thats all tourqued down to spec. mine is a 69k original from factory engine with nothin but a oem hg at 74lb. would you run that thick viscosity on toyota's seals? im stikin with 15w40 and lucas.

btw for winter i ran 10w30 and it idled like 3 mm above 0. hence my change over.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I built the bottom end a little "loose" (about the middle of the tolerance range) as I didn't want to risk nipping up a bearing when pounding on it.

We get some stupid hot temps here in Summer and I'll be running as much boost as it takes to get the 400rwhp I want.

My old NA with this oil is off the scale of the stock gauge so I'm happy with these pressures.

MK3_300

91T...under construction
Mar 30, 2005
Murfreesboro ,TN
I run about 5.5qts to be safe...I wouldn't run much more than that.

25/70 here 35psi ish at idle and 78psi above 1800 rpm

:confused: Where did you find 25/70 motor oil and isn't there a valve that prevents you from running much over 45-50psi or are you using the N/A oil filter adapter?

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
IJ. said:
25/70 here 35psi ish at idle and 78psi above 1800 rpm.

wow...you WILL be blowing oil through seals with upwards of that pressure...especially in the higher RPM range... just be careful...

rule of thumb is basically gonna be around 8-10psi per 1k rpm. thats about the best you can get it.

STOCK per TSRM says idle pressure should be 4.3 PSI (might have been 4.7) . thats JUST enough to float that crank on the bearings... the 7m is a VERY tight oil spec engine...

for how many quarts... 5 with just an oil change, 5.5 with an oil and filter change (this better be how you are doing it ;) ), and 6 total if you have any leaks...and then obviously keep an eye on it.

as far as running 20w50 i would suggest it on all turbo applications. and even a lot of the mk3 manuals suggested it. HOWEVER having said that its all per application so do what works best for you.

Last edited:

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Mk3_300: Yep I'm using a modified NA oiling system and have shimmed the pump to give me 80 psi.

Ideal: Just which seals in a 7M are under pressure in the crankcase?

I'm not saying this to be a smartarse but I see it posted all the time and it's crap.

Seals "Blow" when the PCV has been "modded" by someone with good intentions but little understanding of how it actually works or by bad installation or damage during an install.

Why would the motor make anymore oil pressure at 6000 than it does at 2000 when the relief is open?

Again I'm not trying to be a prick.

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
IJ. said:
Mk3_300: Yep I'm using a modified NA oiling system and have shimmed the pump to give me 80 psi.

Ideal: Just which seals in a 7M are under pressure in the crankcase?

I'm not saying this to be a smartarse but I see it posted all the time and it's crap.

Seals "Blow" when the PCV has been "modded" by someone with good intentions but little understanding of how it actually works or by bad installation or damage during an install.

Why would the motor make anymore oil pressure at 6000 than it does at 2000 when the relief is open?

Again I'm not trying to be a prick.

yeah i posted that about "blowing seals" and as soon as i got done i was like oh bad wording oh well... lol...

basically what i was trying to say is that with an engine that is so close for oil specs as is...that much pressure could possibly be TOO much...HOWEVER...i see you said you built it a little looser in preperation for this...so it might work out nicely for you....i just dont think everyone should be setting 80psi+ as their goal pressure.

also i was under the impression that the relief spring is only in the turbo oil adaptor so with you using that NA block there would be none...if there is one in there then i stand corrected.

and now that youve said you shimmed the pump...about how much did you shim it? i shimmed mine with about 3 washers so it was only about 3mm or so... it didnt do too much noticeably but raised it a few psi...i also got rid of the restrictive banjo bolt and that line and replaced it with a SS line and fittings...

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
The relief valve I'm talking about is the one in the pump, I shimmed mine up by about 3mm.

I really don't see 80 psi as excessive even if I'd built the motor tight.

There just isn't anything that can be damaged in a 7m by too much pressure.

About the only thing I could imagine as an issue would be drainback from the head may not keep up and you could possibly empty the stock sump once you'd pumped it all upstairs! (This is a real problem with modded SBC/BBC's)

I know our motors don't drain very well/quickly.

The ext line looks good and I'd thought about it but figured the way my oil system is the stock banjo wouldn't be that much of a restriction as I don't have squirters leaking volume or the stock horrible leak ummm oil cooler Toyota came up with!

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
IJ. said:
The relief valve I'm talking about is the one in the pump, I shimmed mine up by about 3mm.

I really don't see 80 psi as excessive even if I'd built the motor tight.

There just isn't anything that can be damaged in a 7m by too much pressure.

About the only thing I could imagine as an issue would be drainback from the head may not keep up and you could possibly empty the stock sump once you'd pumped it all upstairs! (This is a real problem with modded SBC/BBC's)

I know our motors don't drain very well/quickly.

The ext line looks good and I'd thought about it but figured the way my oil system is the stock banjo wouldn't be that much of a restriction as I don't have squirters leaking volume or the stock horrible leak ummm oil cooler Toyota came up with!

oh ok yeah...i shimmed the same one and didnt come back with anywhere near 80psi pressure...but youre also using the NA block etc so that will most likely do it...

and its always good to agree to disagree....im sure you know of a bunch of people who would agree with you as well do i.... just dont break anything ;) and keep us all informed if there IS any ill effects of it.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
No probs I've been doing this stuff a LONG long time ;)

Always good to listen to others though as there's always something to learn!
(man it makes me feel so damn old when I think of how long I've been building cars)

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Idealsupra said:
...but youre also using the NA block etc so that will most likely do it...

i thought the only difference between the N/A block and Turbo block was:

lack of oil squirters
pistons/compression ratio
and maybe a few fittings for oil lines and whatnot.

i didnt think that an N/A block would affect oil pressure... unless the N/A oilpump pushes more oil?

oh yeah, i have always run 6 quarts of oil, both in my N/A motor and in my Turbo motor.

-shaeff