How many ppl are running w/o a fan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UkiSash

no mor sup :(
Jul 12, 2005
Weth CT
This is the week, im preying to every god there is known to man. The car is insured and temp registered for emission testing. As of tomorrow it will be my only car. Now I'm still missing a few parts like IC piping and a fan. I'm going to order or have a shop fab up something for piping with in a week, but for now i was going to run some PVC piping for the IC. The fan however wont be here till later on this week.

Ive heard people running their cars with out any fan. Are those cars still running ? is anyone out there not using a fan at the moment?

I know this is stupid but like i said this will be my only car, i don't drive trough heavy traffic so there will be almost always air moving trough the radiator.

Can the car be driven for the time being or should i start looking for rides till I get my fan in ?

THE1JZSPECIAL

Banned
Apr 28, 2008
South Florida
No You need a single fan with a shorud or duals, I'm runing a 16' single electric fan with no shroud and it runs hot on the highway. If i were you I'd make sure your cooling system is at par before letting loose :evil2:

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
How much driving will you be doing? I know I don't have to tell you that this is not good. I'm sure you would not be doing it if it weren't absolutely necessary. I sure hope you don't regret it.

I'd try to bum a ride til it got there.

UkiSash

no mor sup :(
Jul 12, 2005
Weth CT
I just want this car on the road already, its been a 3600 lbs paper weight for over a year now. Ill probably take off my maximas E-fans since its just going to be sitting in the driveway till its buyer is ready to buy, so untill then ill have a fan, just have to figure something out as far as wireing goes don't want to chop the max's fans up.......

16" damn lol i ordered a single 12" off ebay, should ev gotten two of them. Worse casenario ill have to spend 55 bucks on a 15" from advanced autoparts.

Cuz i want the car to run tomorrow. PLUS i have to spend some money to custom fit my exhaust, for some odd reason it doesen't fit. I think my cat will have to be extended and some hangers will have to be added on. The exhaust is too short about 5 inches. All of the exhaust parts are from a supra, thats the wierd part.

THE1JZSPECIAL;1064218 said:
No You need a single fan with a shorud or duals, I'm runing a 16' single electric fan with no shroud and it runs hot on the highway. If i were you I'd make sure your cooling system is at par before letting loose :evil2:

lol I got a major coolant leak at the heater valve, i think it has a crack in it. Will need a new one, just not sure weather I want to get a used part or go to dealer, it'll most likely be a used part maybe from someone on the forums or a junkyard. Other than that its good(knock on wood)

Datsrboi

Loud pipes Save Lives
Jul 31, 2007
Haltom Texas
www.cardomain.com
UkiSash;1064419 said:
I just want this car on the road already, its been a 3600 lbs paper weight for over a year now. Ill probably take off my maximas E-fans since its just going to be sitting in the driveway till its buyer is ready to buy, so untill then ill have a fan, just have to figure something out as far as wireing goes don't want to chop the max's fans up.......

Driving it when its not ready will make it a permanent paperweight.

THE1JZSPECIAL

Banned
Apr 28, 2008
South Florida
Patients my friend you dont want to blow the headgasket,
Friction and heat the engine's worst Enemys

sm_photo_missing.jpg

albert74

May 29, 2008
Florida
I wouldn't take the chance driving it without a fan or fans . I went to the local junkyard and yanked some fans off of a 95 altima and wired them in with a 100amp relay and temp switch from murrays speed and custom. In all it cost me about $100 and about 2 hours of my time shaving a couple sections of the altima shroud to fit next to my cold side intercooler piping.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
I have created a synopsis of your own words, without changing anything. You have answered your own questions. I personally (with a lot of friends), think you should exercise a little more patience. If the buyer for the Maxima is not ready, keep driving it while you clear up these last couple of easy fixes. Don't chance it.

These are your own words!

UkiSash;1064214 said:
Now I'm still missing a few parts like IC piping and a fan.

I got a major coolant leak at the heater valve

I just want this car on the road already, Cuz i want the car to run tomorrow

UkiSash;1064419 said:
I know this is stupid

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
Sasha, don't make me drive to your house and slap you. At the very least, go to the junkyard and get some e-fans, wire them up to a switch. Relax, it will be done soon.

THE1JZSPECIAL

Banned
Apr 28, 2008
South Florida
a more aggressive approach but effective lmao

foreverpsycotic;1064911 said:
Sasha, don't make me drive to your house and slap you. At the very least, go to the junkyard and get some e-fans, wire them up to a switch. Relax, it will be done soon.

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I ran my car without a fan once.

I was about 20km away from home, and my hydro fan system wouldn't keep fluid in it. I drove it most of the way home at 130km/h, and it kept the temp normal, but a few minutes of anything slower, and it kept climbing up to the red-line where I pulled it off the road, and let it cool down. Drove it the remaining 3km home, and it almost overheated again. I managed to boil off about 2/3 of my coolant.

DON'T run without a fan. You will not go anywhere.

str8_6

master yuepeng
Mar 14, 2007
wa
flame me but i dont care guys i'm going for it!!!

FROM PERSONEL EXPERIENCE IN 1000LBS LIGHTER VEHICLE ONLY:

i drove 95% of the time highway for about 3 months and my temp gauge never once went pass 170 degrees. i had 2 gauges to reference off of that for insurance too. i am not recommending this AT ALL. just saying from experience.

best thing i would do is buy an ebay one (3300cfm 16" for $35.00 shipped). hell, you could go to any auto parts store and buy an aftermarket one and throw a switch on it. (i know i'm a hyprocrite)

now that my fan is hooked up it still rarely comes on and i have it set to come on at 160ish degree.

THE1JZSPECIAL

Banned
Apr 28, 2008
South Florida
str8_6;1066370 said:
flame me but i dont care guys i'm going for it!!!

FROM PERSONEL EXPERIENCE IN 1000LBS LIGHTER VEHICLE ONLY:

i drove 95% of the time highway for about 3 months and my temp gauge never once went pass 170 degrees. i had 2 gauges to reference off of that for insurance too. i am not recommending this AT ALL. just saying from experience.

best thing i would do is buy an ebay one (3300cfm 16" for $35.00 shipped). hell, you could go to any auto parts store and buy an aftermarket one and throw a switch on it. (i know i'm a hyprocrite)

now that my fan is hooked up it still rarely comes on and i have it set to come on at 160ish degree.

Im running an ebay 16'' fan(3300cfm) on mine , I have the condenser blocking my radiator and the intercooler blocking the condensor. im running no shroud my car runs hot on the highway when ambient tempture is in the 90's, Im not running a/c and my power steering pump is blown(thats coming off 2 ). What do u suggest I do?

SupraClaou

Supramania Contributor
Sep 1, 2006
Athens,Greece
THE1JZSPECIAL;1066380 said:
Im running an ebay 16'' fan(3300cfm) on mine , I have the condenser blocking my radiator and the intercooler blocking the condensor. im running no shroud my car runs hot on the highway when ambient tempture is in the 90's, Im not running a/c and my power steering pump is blown(thats coming off 2 ). What do u suggest I do?

Put back your fan shroud and the plastic under cover.

Do you have a water temp. gauge?
Can you tell me how hot the water gets?
My water temp. gets up sometimes to 210'F (100'C) after some driving...
with outside temperature about 110'F (44'C).

I do live in a very hot climate,and I don't have any electric fans (small A/C
fan or the big condenser fan)....but I am getting a condenser fan soon.
I do also got a very big front mount IC with stock front bumper...

But my 5 cent is....that we all need a hood with open vents so the hot engine air could get out and not get trapped inside the eng.bay!
Man my oem hood gets so hot that you can't even touch it at all :aigo:
Ofcaurse I am talking about summer time and hot days of 40'C (100'F +)

Status
Not open for further replies.