How many people have welded their clutch?

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
I am asking this cause I have Fidanza kinda want to run it but scared of welding it

I am running a bronze disk

I have lighten stocker as of now and looking in a billet cromoly fly wheel

so this is were I'm at

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
"Should" still be able to shift it if you get the rpm's right but coming to a full stop and taking off again will be interesting ;)

(it can be done though you pull it into neutral for the stop shut the motor off put it in 2nd then restart the motor the car will lurch forward on the starter and if the tune is close catch and take off you can then rev match and shift through the gears, I've had to drive cars home like this after breaking clutch cables)

Yakuzastinger

will she ever run right?
Dec 18, 2005
Greensboro, NC
IJ. said:
"Should" still be able to shift it if you get the rpm's right but coming to a full stop and taking off again will be interesting ;)

(it can be done though you pull it into neutral for the stop shut the motor off put it in 2nd then restart the motor the car will lurch forward on the starter and if the tune is close catch and take off you can then rev match and shift through the gears, I've had to drive cars home like this after breaking clutch cables)
That's actually how I got my disc to break free from the F/W.
Cranked it in reverse with the clutch pedal down, and it went about 1 meter uphill and broke free.

-brent
(on friend's computer)

7MGTEsup

Formerly 'Down but not out'
Jun 14, 2005
England
IJ. said:

I had to drive my girlfriends car 240 miles with no clutch not an expirience I want to repeat. Drove one of my old cars through rush hour traffic with only 3rd, 4th and 5th clutch was toast by the time I got home. Hill starting in 3rd isn't much fun.

MRSUPRA

Apr 11, 2005
Maryland
"humm i still have this fuldenza

i kinda wana run it thou"

Don't do it. It's not worth it. I had the clutch/flywheel conbination that you are talking about and it welded on me. All it took was a burnout. I have been running the stock flywheel and bronse clutch for a while now with no problems.

MK3Brent

Very expensive....
Aug 1, 2005
Greensboro and Greenville NC
MRSUPRA said:
"humm i still have this fuldenza

i kinda wana run it thou"

Don't do it. It's not worth it. I had the clutch/flywheel conbination that you are talking about and it welded on me. All it took was a burnout. I have been running the stock flywheel and bronse clutch for a while now with no problems.

I remember when you told me about this.

When it happened to me, I thought the same thing you did too at first: "Did I just dump my transmission?" :rofl:

MRSUPRA

Apr 11, 2005
Maryland
Yeah Brent. I had no idea what was going on when it happened to me. Especially since I have never heard of anyone having this problem before. I wish I would have known about it and new about that reverse trick to break it loose; that would have saved me a lot of money in towing fees.

DL.

Fast
Sep 12, 2005
SE Wisconsin
Happened to me with a RPS stage 3 and the RPS flywheel once. Started it in 2nd, drove around for a bit, it broke loose. About 8000 miles later it has not happened again.

super.secret.supra.club

Supramania Contributor
Mar 22, 2007
San Diego, CA
I personaly have never experienced "welding" my clutch but, I did have the chance to drive a 87 turbo that did.

My buddy called me in the middle of the night and said his tranny took a shit on him. So i got out of bed and saw the car for myself. Came up with the conclution that he welded his clutch. I told him he would still be able to drive it home but just be very carefull. He did want to do it so i offered. it was only a 10 mile trip. Worst trip ever!

ed.d.

wesbeech

Beech Performance Motorsports
Feb 26, 2006
Akron Ohio
I had a stock flywheel with a trd clutch 20 pounds of boost water meth injection ffim big fmic stuff like that i pit a zex 55 shot on i still had my drag radials on the secand time i used it i welded the two toghter some how the next day they wernt any more but here is a pic of the clutch when i pulled it out

p872348_1.jpg