How many people fuel up while leaving the Supra running?

Shinobu

Mmmm... Juicy!
Mar 30, 2005
Columbus, GA
I was looking at the "Shocking Story" thread and wondered how many people fill up at the pump with their Supra running. A friend of mine used to do it in his Supra and I thought he was nuts... now I do it all the time..

Mmm... am I in danger of blowing up? :)

Stretch

Tallest MK3 driver ever!!
Mar 30, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
If you were to fill it up while running, would that mean you leave it running while you go and pay aswell? I wouldn't like to leave my car running and unlocked while I wander away from it :icon_roll
eric

liukc

Twin Turbo 7m
Mar 30, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
I always leave mine on and one time I was inside paying while it was pumping and the autoshut off didn't work and fuel went everywhere so I ran and hit the emergency fuel shut off. My fill up was like 80 bucks that time.

encomiast

boosted kraut
Mar 31, 2005
germany
I normally turn the engine off during fill up, but my turbo timer occasionally thinks it would be better to leave the engine running ;)
that way I can also lock the car when I'm paying while the engine is still running and cooling down...

socc924

Mar 31, 2005
CT and Philly
I usually leave it running if I had been driving it a little hard. I use my atm card so I stay with my car the whole time. Its just easier... and there is no more risk of having a problem with the car running or not. Seriously, think about it. What could cause a problem by pumping gas into a running car. If it was that dangerous you would have to push the car into the station because there might be spilled gas already there. If your tank catches on fire your screwed weather or not your car is running.

Shinobu

Mmmm... Juicy!
Mar 30, 2005
Columbus, GA
I pay with my ATM or credit card so of course I don't leave the car unattended with it running. Also, if you leave it running you don't have to worry about cooldown and you can listen to your radio/CDs while you pump and clean your windows and stuff. :)

I don't see it causing any problems but the whole static charge thread had me wondering.. Just curious if this is actually dangerous..

outofstep

Mar 31, 2005
fwb
Doesn't matter if the vehicle is running or not. The only thing that can cause an issue is ESD.

But as to the question, no. I have never filled up a running vehicle.

Ckanderson

Supramania Contributor
Apr 1, 1983
The beach
Wusses! I do it all the time... I like the danger, and not knowing if the gas will catch on fire! seriously... like 1nce or 2wce... just cause the turbo timer was running for hella days.

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
i turn it off always. btw not to jack the thread or anything but what are your guy's mileage when you fill up when i fill up i fill it to brim and reset trip odometer then when i refill it i save the receipt and how many miles on the trip odometer and use that to get my mileage. this past fill i averaged 15mpg. i mean crap.

streetknight

rip ssb
Mar 30, 2005
melbourne, fl
i always do it never had a problem with it. use my atm card all the time so i dont go far away from the car. the only time something can happen is if you cause a electro static discharge,but thats very unlike it would happen the moment you touch the gas door or anything thats metal and ground it it goes away. just think about it this way how many ppl fill up their gas everyday? millions. how often do you hear about a gas station blow up? unless you are watching movies bearly ever. i can count how many times i have seen it on the news of some one blowing up the gas station. its normally woman and its in the middle of winter. for the reasons woman after they start to fill up the gas go back in side the car. thats when you can create esd, and then get out of their car and first thing they touch is the nozzel, that supplies enought of a spark to set it off. i personnally dont go back in to the car and of i do i always touch the door frame casue thats what i use for leverage.

cwapface

Supernerd
Mar 30, 2005
Eugene, OR
www.dylanwiggins.com
when I lived in oregon I laughed at all the people worried about static discharge while filling up. but here in tucson, all you have to do is get out of your seat and you are automatically charged, and a painful zap is never far away. Sometimes I get out of my car without touching the body, and every single time I get a zap when I finally do. So the potential is there, I hope it never happens to me with gas though

Jonnymkiii

High Altitude
Mar 31, 2005
Boulder, Co
When in my Supra I'll do it if I've been driving hard and the cool down, idle time is more than 30 seconds. I always stay near by though in case the auto shut off doesn't work properly. I persoanlly have never had a problem doing this, nor have I known anyone personally that has either - not to say it's not possible.

socc924

Mar 31, 2005
CT and Philly
But still, the electric static shock doesnt happen because the car is running, and shutting off the car wouldnt prevent from the gas catching on fire. They are completely unrelated.

encomiast

boosted kraut
Mar 31, 2005
germany
americanjebus said:
btw not to jack the thread or anything but what are your guy's mileage when you fill up when i fill up i fill it to brim and reset trip odometer then when i refill it i save the receipt and how many miles on the trip odometer and use that to get my mileage. this past fill i averaged 15mpg.
17-18 mpg here.