How many grease monkeys?

Gumboot

smrt redneck
Dec 17, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Alright, I wanna know how many of you guys actually do all your own wrenching on your cars? and how many take em to a mechanic or have a buddy do it all?

just outta curiosity.

thedave925

Since 9/16/05
Nov 9, 2005
East Bay, Cali
I'm sure that the majority here tools their cars themselves out of distrust of shop personnel: I don't like people taking my car out for a spin without my say so.

supraman7mgte

Shut up,bitch!!
Apr 1, 2005
Sunny California
The only work I have let a semi-trusted shop do was my transmission install. Anything else I can do myself. I love taking my car apart,it's the only time i'm really happy.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
I let Randy (becauseican) do welding for my car... everything else is done by me. He's the only mechanic I'd trust to do things right, I've watched him work on other people's Supras, he uses a click type torque wrench on the LUGNUTS.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Sunnyvale, CA
jefflange.ca
Interesting. I've only had a shop put tires on my car a few times, but I think they've always done that.

I know My Tires did for sure. In fact I was in the shop the whole time. :) It was nice.

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
oh you bet i grease my monkey.

only thing i havent touched is the power steering rack. had a shop do that for me cause i had just a few days to get it inspected.

that and the bodywork i leave to a trusted body shop. everything else happens in my basement.

Gumboot

smrt redneck
Dec 17, 2006
Kelowna, BC
cool, good to know, I just put in a new clutch, brake lines and fuel lines over the holidays. Plannin on doin most of the stereo this weekend and maybe startin the body work. It is a Toyota so it does have some rust, but has to be one of the better conditioned ones I've seen of that gen. Lookin forward to seein her all shiny and purty this summer. Possible chance of a hint of turbo in the future? we'llhave to see though

Gumboot

smrt redneck
Dec 17, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Alright, i've got a question for some of ya then. My car burns a teeny bit of oil but only when the engine is first put under pressure. When taking off from a start i get a little cloud of blue smoke but not while driving and not when the wheels are off the ground and in gear. No cloud of smoke when firing up after sitting for a while, so I'm not thinking it's the valve guides and when the rings are gone you usually get more constant smoke. Any ideas? Also, there's a chattering up front from both sides at slow speeds over little bumps, wtf?

Last edited:

Shytheed Dumas

For Sale
Mar 6, 2006
Louisville, KY
I do my own, but most of the time it's a learning experience. I've come a LONG way in the past 11 months and love every minute I spend on it, I gladly took some help from a couple of other SM members for my 5 speed swap last month. ;)

canadianbacon

Extra Crispy
Dec 10, 2005
Coquitlam, BC
I do most things, but have lots of support from the Supras only back yard mechanics!! Especially the one in Chilliwack.LOL Everybody knows if you own a Supra, you have to constantly maintain. I have 2:aigo:to keep running. I have been fortunate to be able to build 2 - 7M's. In the last 3 years I have owned 7 Supras. It is an adiction.

Turbo Drifter

Dec 8, 2005
Surrey, BC Canada
Yeah I have done 90% of the work on my car. Randy did the body work and all that stuff. Friend Tommy helped me with the exhaust and harness and Bill helped alot along the way with trouble shooting and rewiring the harness. The rest has all been done by me. Me and Bill will be doing to tuning and rebuild of the engine in the next few months.

Jeremy

2x7m's 1x1jz 2x2jz in 7 years :icon_surp