How many gauges you all runnin?

SMP142

BOHICA
Jan 5, 2006
Tacoma, WA.
so i am getting ready to start my swap so i have been shopping for gauges. i was wondering how many ppl are running out there? i am going standalone so i am going to have most the sensors anyway, so i figure i might as well get gauges. i was planning on replacing some in the cluster. this is what i got soo far. i already have a wideband controller.

-boost
-volts
-water temp
-oil temp
-oil press
-pyro (egt)

think this is too much?

also, has anyone successfully put blue backlighting in the cluster? i have a white face in-lay(sp) right now. but it quit working. so i wanna get rid of it and keep the black backround. my red needle kit still works good though. which would work great b/c the gauges i have been looking at are black with white numbers, red needles and blue backlighting. that way it would all kinda match. all i would have to do after that would be the climate control.

any suggestions would help, -thanks

SMP142

BOHICA
Jan 5, 2006
Tacoma, WA.
does the motec log each run individually and put it in a history? like each time the car is shut off and started again? if so how many does it store? or do you have to have the laptop in to log anything.

briggsy

TEAM BHG 247
Feb 4, 2007
with the kangaroos
im my soarer i have....

stock instrument panel (4), plus 8 gauges in total

Oil temp
Water temp
Oil presure
exhaust temp
3 bar Boost
5" tacho and pensil shift light
Apexi RSM
wideband AFR gauge

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
Stock NA cluster (tachs swapped) and a prosport boost guage. Ill be adding an AEM WBO2 when I go single. IMO, too many guages is a bad thing.

SMP142

BOHICA
Jan 5, 2006
Tacoma, WA.
where did you all run your fuel press gauge? is it running off a pressure sending unit, or just a fuel line straight to the gauge?

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
SMP142 said:
also, has anyone successfully put blue backlighting in the cluster?
I have. I don't have any pictures of it on my server right now though. I made some LED clusters, and soldered them into the bulb holders. It's looks decent, but I'm going to re-do them in white LEDs soon.

As for gauges, I run Boost, Oil Press, and EGT. Oil pressure is really the only one I use though. My EGT sensor broke months ago, and if I'm on boost, I'm watching the road, not the boost gauge.

Prosport%201.JPG

I'm thinking I might just get rid of them all and do a full complement of HKS electronic gauges. Mainly because the HKS gauge computer can plug into my standalone, allowing my standalone to read all of the gauges too.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Years ago I put an engine analyzer on mine. It monitored a bunch of stuff and issued voice alerts when a variable exceeded the setpoints programmed into it. It could also monitor and graphically display EGT in each cylinder but I didn't use that, at least not on the Supra. Finally took it out as I didn't see any real need for it. These days I run all stock gages except for the modified boost gage.

MK3Brent

Very expensive....
Aug 1, 2005
Greensboro and Greenville NC
2x water temperature (digital and needle; before and after radiator.)
oil temperature
boost
AFR
misc. things the AFC reads, Hz, RPM, throttle battery, correction.

(disclaimer: this doesn't necessarily mean I look at them.)

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
IJ. said:
Joe: You forgot to mention the "Pig Gauge" ;)

The piggy bank gauge monitors my bank account. The needle was always in the redzone so I turned the pig off. :biglaugh:

Actually, I keep it there part because I like it and part to remind me to save more. It's not working so well. ;)