How is everyones 1JZ holding up after +-25 years?

Datsrboi

Loud pipes Save Lives
Jul 31, 2007
Haltom Texas
www.cardomain.com
Just wanting to know how everyones car is holding up now that its getting old as heck.

My first 1JZ with single turbo on stinger ems on bone stock block is still running strong on a stock pressure clutch.

My current 1JZ with single turbo on power FC on bone stock block and stage 4 act clutch is so far having no issues. Only failure was rear main seal leaking and a blown r154 tranny.

Just want to throw it out there if anyone notice anything with their age for us to start looking into too.

RacerXJ220

Interdimensional
Mar 30, 2005
Abalama
They are great engines. Pistons are moving slower compared to the 2JZ counterparts, so theoretically a lot less strain accumulated over time and mileage over the 3.0L variant.

I'm rebuilding with a couple of upgrades.

rhs

Sep 21, 2014
Dallas
The main issues I had with mine were blown turbo oil seals and the cooling tube insert into the back of the head leaking.

The leak was "fixed" with JB Water Weld since you can barely contort your arm to reach it.

I have occasional IAC issues too like everyone.

I've replaced the front and rear main seals, upgraded to single turbo, new timing belt, and new water pump. But other than that it's all stock.

The R154 I bought in unknown condition is fine minus synchro a going out.

Dingoboy

Dec 25, 2009
Tampa, FL
Mine went into the shop for a valve job (I understand valve guide seals are a common issue on the 1JZ's) & the mechanic found 2 scored cylinder walls, too deep for a hone. After much drama, it's getting a rebuild with .5mm over pistons from CP, single turbo conversion, fuel system upgrades, AEM ECU, and a clutch upgrade TBD. Turbo is rated to ~450whp, so this is not going to be a crazy build.

Previously, I had to ditch my hydraulic fan & go electric when the hydraulics were leaking. Any other issues I have had were really with peripherals & other systems, and not the engine itself.

thevork

ShoarmaTeam Member
valve guide seals are also somewhat worn out on mine so I have to replace them soon.
other than that, since it's transplant from a soarer into my supra it's been very good to me.

Maybe it's good to mention that i've replaced every gasket that you can find on the engine apart from the head gasket. block's never been opened.

MNBmk3T

Aug 2, 2011
Burnaby, BC
I daily drive mine and my 1JZ has given me zero issues. Just gotta make sure to do regular oil changes and she's happy. My stock twins however are on their way out so I'm replacing that with a big single soon. We'll see how reliability suffers after a power increase as currently I'm running a bone stock motor with stock twins on stock boost.

JPsToyota

Sep 17, 2008
East-Central, FL
The headgasket was half-way gone on my single turbo when I bought it 7 years ago and the valve seals were 'going bad'. I finally toasted the gasket completely about a year later.

I did the headgasket, normal maintenance stuff, hand lapped the valves, and pulled the tiny pieces of the rotting valve seals out from all over inside the head. Did the all the work 'the right way', and then 4-5 years of 400+whp go by. Installed some cams and valve springs at that point, decided to do a leak down test because I was worried about the old motor.

The thing came back with great results all the way across. Tough motors.