how is coolant geting there???

djazem1

Nov 12, 2007
philly
hey guys, i hope this is not a topic that has already been coverd because i wouldnt even know how to search for this LOL. Anyway i just rebuilt my whole engine top to bottom. I got the car running and put aprox. 1,300 miles during this time i re tqd my head 2 times, 1st at 200 miles and its was good for a little while then i would notice after full boosting (10 lbs) i would stop and rev it to about 4k and hold it there, then i hear the engine burping, it kind of sounds like its studdering. I figured my HG might of lifted again because the machine shop said it could take a couple of re tqs to seat the hg. i re tq and after about 2 days of driving same thing. now i wanted to do a series of tests to get to the bottom of this. i drive the car around the block boosting it pretty hard pull it in the drive way and rev it to 4g then all of the sudden more white smoke than i can imagine comes out of my exhaust. i turn the car off and pull the plugs to look for coolant in the cylinders or a squeaky clean plug none of the above are present. i get a compression tester and do a compression test i got 180 PSI across all six cylinders. so now im getting stumped because i thought it was my hg but its starting to look like its not.

Can anyone help me pleaseeeee :1zhelp: .....oh and sorry for such a long writeup i just want to make sure everyone understands my problem :)
Thanks for your time and comments in advanced

gofastgeorge

Banned
Jan 24, 2008
Texas
Just a thought, there is a construction plug at the back of the head, that the EGR passage runs over top of.
If for some reason, that plug was taken out when the engine was rebuilt, and not sealed properly, then it would push coolant out, and that could be then passed into the exhaust.

(sorry for the first part about head gasket, I misread first post, thought I had seen that the coolant was on the plugs.........So I edited it out)

Last edited:

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
I read the whole thing, and never saw "where" the coolant is getting, that you eluded to in your title. So, I guess everyone is not going to understand the question.

Obviously, if you have white smoke, you have coolant in your cylinders.

djazem1

Nov 12, 2007
philly
thanks for the responses!!

hvyman- i have a precision t3 turbo that is oil cooled only i have coolant lines for the turbo bypassed
Forcedtourque- Thanks!! i no im getting coolant in my cylinders but how is it getting there thats what im confused about because its not my hg

empera

Authorized Vendor
Mar 30, 2005
Philly.
if ur getting coolant in ur cylinders its ur head gasket, ur head isnt torqued correctly, or things weren't properly machined.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
^ I was assuming the retorques and compression test were both done correctly, and waiting to see an answer from someone with a little more knowledge than me.

Djazem1......What head gasket was used? What bolts were used? What have you torque'd it to?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
ForcedTorque;1386596 said:
^ I was assuming the retorques and compression test were both done correctly, and waiting to see an answer from someone with a little more knowledge than me.

Djazem1......What head gasket was used? What bolts were used? What have you torque'd it to?

Never "ASSUME" ;)

as it makes an ass of u and me.

Assume1.jpg

OP describe how you did the retorque's and if the Timing cover was machined with the block.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
Isnt there a passage in the intake manifold for coolant for the throttle body, if that gasket surface wasn't cleaned thoroughly it could be leaking in that way.

hottscennessey

DONT BE A BITCH!
Jun 3, 2005
Richmond, VA
nosechunks;1386626 said:
Isnt there a passage in the intake manifold for coolant for the throttle body, if that gasket surface wasn't cleaned thoroughly it could be leaking in that way.

Yes, in the lower runner of the intake manifold there is a coolant passage. It's possible.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
Happened to me on my pickup, 22re, rebuilt the motor and didn't scrape the intake surface of the head good enough and i had a nice leak. burned coolant for about 10 minutes figuring it had to clear out before i was like "ok....something is wrong"

djazem1

Nov 12, 2007
philly
I'm running the following:

Cometic 1.5mm HG
ARP Studs
Trqd to 85LBS (and double checked the sequence, and even got a fresh trq wrench from the machine shop)
COMPRESSION TESTS 180 all across
NO Coolant on plugs or cylinders

Thanks again for everyones help here...I'll check the throttle body tomorrow...

djazem1

Nov 12, 2007
philly
IJ wins again.......its most likely my timing cover because the cover is off my old block and im using a dif. block with the timing cover from my old one....sorry if i wasted anybodys time

Thanks, Azem